Ensign (LDS magazine)
The Ensign of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly shortened to Ensign //, is an official periodical of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The magazine was first issued in January 1971, along with the correlated New Era (for youth) and the Friend (for children). Each of these magazines replaced the older church publications Improvement Era, Relief Society Magazine, The Instructor, and the Millennial Star. Unlike some of its predecessors, the Ensign contains no advertisements.
|Publisher||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
|First issue||January 1971|
As an official church publication, the Ensign contains faith-promoting and proselytizing information, stories, sermons, and writings of church leaders.
The May and November editions of the Ensign provide reports of the proceedings of the church's annual and semi-annual general conferences. These issues contain the full sermons and business of the conferences, as well as a current photographic list of the church's general authorities and general officers.
The text of every issue of the magazine is available on the church's web site. Each issue since January 2001 is also available in PDF format.
In April 2018, the magazine discontinued its First Presidency message, an article traditionally found at the front of the magazine written by a member of the church's First Presidency. This message was traditionally used by home teachers for a lesson as they visited their assigned families. This change coincided with the church's revamping of the home teaching program into what is now known as ministering.
- Doyle L. Green (1971–75)
- Dean L. Larsen (1977–78)
- James E. Faust (1979)
- M. Russell Ballard (1980–84)
- Carlos E. Asay (1985–86)
- Joseph B. Wirthlin (1986)
- Hugh W. Pinnock (1987–89)
- Rex D. Pinegar (1990-94)
- Joe J. Christensen (1994–95)
- Jack H. Goaslind (1996–98)
- Marlin K. Jensen (1999–2000)
- Dennis B. Neuenschwander (2001–04)
- Jay E. Jensen (2005–08)
- Spencer J. Condie (2008–10)
- Paul B. Pieper (2010–12)
- Craig A. Cardon (2012–15)
- Joseph W. Sitati (2015–17)
- Hugo E. Martinez (2017–18)
- Randy D. Funk (2018- )
- Curtis, Larry. "LDS church ends monthly First Presidency message in Ensign magazine". KUTV News. KUTV. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism: Ensign. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Rex D. Pinegar and Joe J. Christensen were co-editors in 1994.
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Christian magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.