Energy in Iraq
Energy in Iraq describes energy and electricity production, consumption and import in Iraq. Energy policy of Iraq will describe the politics of Iraq related to energy more in detail. Electricity sector in Iraq is the main article of electricity in Iraq.
Primary energy use in 2009 in Iraq was 374 TWh and 13 TWh per million persons.
|Energy in Iraq|
|Mtoe (million tonnes of oil equivalent) = 11.63 TWh (terawatt-hours).
Primary energy includes energy losses.
2012R: CO2 calculation criteria changed; numbers updated.
Iraq was 9th top crude oli exporter 88 Mt in 2008.
Oil provide 85% of government income. The oil reserves of Iraq are the third biggest in the world after Saudi Arabia and Iran. In 2009 Iraq government had the target to increase oil production from 2.5-million-barrels (400,000 m3) to 7-million-barrels-per-day (1,100,000 m3/d) in six years. In June 2009 oil production rights were sold for BP and China National Petroleum of Rumaila oil field for 20 years contract. Investments are estimated as $10–20 billion. Field reserves is 16.998 billion barrels (2.7025×109 m3). In October 2009 Rumaila’s capacity was 1.1 million barrels per day (170,000 m3/d). Iraq's total oil production was 2.4 Mbbl/d (380,000 m3/d).
Second auction took place in December 2009. Iraq sold rights for seven oil fields for 20 years time increasing oil production 4.7 million barrels per day (750,000 m3/d) in future. The production companies will receive from $1 to $5.5 per barrel produced:
- West Qurna Field 13-million-barrels (2,100,000 m3) oil: Lukoil 85% and StatoilHydro 15%
- Majnoon oil field 13-million-barrels (2,100,000 m3) oil: Shell and Petronas
- Halfaya Field: CNPC (Petronas / Total)
- Qaiyarah and Najmah field: Sonangol
- Garraf field: Petronas ja Japan Petroleum Exploration Company Limited JAPEX
- Badra field: Gazprom, Petronas, Korea Gas Corporation (KOGAS) ja TPAO
- IEA Key energy statistics 2011 Page: Country specific indicator numbers from page 48
- IEA Key World Energy Statistics Statistics 2015, 2014 (2012R as in November 2015 + 2012 as in March 2014 is comparable to previous years statistical calculation criteria, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2006 IEA October, crude oil p.11, coal p. 13 gas p. 15
- IEA Key statistics 2010
- Irak huutokauppasi seitsemän öljykenttää yle 12.12.2009
- Irak huutokauppaa öljykenttiä yle 11.12.2009
- Rasheed, Ahmed (8 October 2009). "Iraq signs deal with BP, CNPC for Rumaila field". Reuters.
- "Country Analysis Brief: Iraq". US Energy Information Administration. 28 April 2016. Retrieved 6 May 2016.