Jiménez before the 2016 All-Star Futures Game
|Chicago White Sox – No. 74|
|Born: November 27, 1996|
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|March 28, 2019, for the Chicago White Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Runs batted in||79|
Jiménez was considered the top international free agent for 2013. MLB.com called him as a five-tool player, noting that during workouts he impressed scouts with his intelligence, speed, and gap-to-gap power. He signed with the Chicago Cubs in July 2013 for a $2.8 million signing bonus.
Jiménez made his professional debut in 2014 with the Arizona League Cubs, where he was limited to just 164 plate appearances due to a shoulder injury. When healthy, he reached base at a disappointing .268 clip. Still, scouts remained optimistic due to his young age and physical ability. Jiménez received a promotion to short-season single-A to start 2015 with the Eugene Emeralds. There, Jiménez fared considerably better, improving his on-base percentage to .328, and slugging seven home runs in 250 plate appearances.
Jiménez began the 2016 season with the low-A South Bend Cubs. Jiménez spent all of 2016 with South Bend, hitting .329 with 14 home runs and 81 RBIs in 112 games. After the season, the Cubs assigned Jiménez to the Mesa Solar Sox of the Arizona Fall League. Jiménez began the 2017 season with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League.
Chicago White SoxEdit
On July 13, 2017, the Cubs traded Jiménez, Dylan Cease, Matt Rose, and Bryant Flete to the Chicago White Sox for José Quintana. The White Sox assigned him to the Winston-Salem Dash of the Carolina League, and later promoted him to the Birmingham Barons of the Class AA Southern League. In 89 total games between Myrtle Beach, Winston-Salem and Birmingham, he batted .312 with 19 home runs, 65 RBIs, and a .947 OPS. The White Sox added Jiménez to their 40-man roster after the 2017 season.
In 2018, the White Sox assigned Jiménez to the Birmingham Barons of the Class AA Southern League, though he missed the end of spring training with a knee injury and the beginning of the regular season with a pectoral injury. The White Sox promoted him to the Charlotte Knights of the Class AAA International League in June. In 108 total games between the two teams, he slashed .337/.384/.577 with 22 home runs and 75 RBIs.
On March 22, 2019 Jimenez signed a six-year $43 million contract with Chicago White Sox. The deal included two additional option years for the team which could bring the total value to $75 million. It was the richest contract ever for a player with no service time before his major-league debut.
Jiménez was promoted to the White Sox 25-man roster for the 2019 season. He was placed on the injured list on April 29 with a ankle injury. On defense in 2019, he had a -11 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) rating, the lowest in the major leagues among left fielders.
- "Dominican outfielder Eloy Jimenez is the top prospect as the international signing period begins July 2". Major League Baseball. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "2013 Prospect Watch". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- "Chicago Cubs set to sign top international outfielder prospect Eloy Jimenez". Chicago Cubs. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Chicago Sun-Times - Chicago : News : Politics : Things To Do : Sports". Chicago. Archived from the original on June 28, 2015. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Cubs Sign No. 1 International Prospect Eloy Jimenez". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Top prospects Eloy Jimenez, Gleybar Torres growing, learning with Cubs". Chicago Cubs. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- Sickels, John. "Chicago Cubs Top 20 Prospects for 2015". Minor League Ball. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- "Chicago Cubs' Eloy Jimenez clubs second homer in two games for Eugene Emeralds - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Cubs Carl Edwards on witnessing 2015 playoffs". Chicago Cubs. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- "Eloy Jimenez Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Major League Baseball - Winter Leagues - Arizona Fall League". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Crosstown shocker: Cubs acquire José Quintana from Sox in blockbuster". Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Jimenez makes good first impression on Dash". MiLB.com. July 13, 2017. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "Eloy Jimenez Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "White Sox add Eloy Jimenez to 40-man roster". Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Next wave of Chicago White Sox prospects to keep an eye on". Dailyherald.com. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "White Sox promote Eloy Jimenez to Class AAA Charlotte". Chicago Sun-Times. June 21, 2018. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- "Eloy Jimenez Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "White Sox sign Eloy to six-year contract". milb.com. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Details of Eloy Jimenez's record contract with the White Sox include a $5 million bonus and a potential value of $75M". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Report: White Sox Agree to Six-Year Deal With Top Prospect Eloy Jimenez". si.com. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "The White Sox roster is set for Opening Day, and yes, Eloy Jimenez is on it". CBS Sports Chicago. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- April 28, 2019, 3:32 PM UTC (April 28, 2019). "Eloy Jimenez placed on 10-day IL with high ankle sprain". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved October 7, 2019.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Major League Leaderboards » 2019 » Left Fielders » Fielding Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. January 1, 2019. Retrieved October 7, 2019.