|New York Yankees – No. 56|
|Born: June 9, 1993|
|September 2, 2016, for the New York Yankees|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||3.56|
Holder attended Gulfport High School in Gulfport, Mississippi, and Mississippi State University, where he played college baseball for the Mississippi State Bulldogs from 2012 to 2014. During his career he had an 11–2 record, 1.59 earned run average (ERA), 191 strikeouts and a school record 37 saves.
Holder was drafted by the New York Yankees in the sixth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft. After pitching in relief in college, the Yankees converted him into a starting pitcher. He made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Yankees of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and later played for the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. He started 2015 with the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League. He posted a 7–6 record with a 2.52 ERA. He began the 2016 season with Tampa and was promoted to the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League on April 11. On April 26, 2016, Holder pitched the final inning of a joint no hitter that was started by Ronald Herrera. On July 21, the Yankees promoted Holder to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders of the Class AAA International League
The Yankees promoted Holder to the major leagues on September 2, 2016. In 8 appearances with the Yankees to finish 2016, Holder had a 5.40 ERA. His first major league strikeout came against Baltimore Orioles center fielder Adam Jones, striking him out on 3 pitches after quickly going ahead 0–2.[when?] On May 5, 2017, Holder got his first major league win pitching a scoreless inning of relief against the Chicago Cubs. In 37 appearances out of the bullpen, Holder finished the 2017 year 1–1 with a 3.89 ERA.
- "Holder brings drama, history to closer's role". The Commercial Dispatch. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Holder makes right decision to focus on pitching". The Commercial Dispatch. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Holder breaks MSU career saves mark". starkvilledailynews.com. Archived from the original on May 24, 2015. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Michael Bonner, The Clarion-Ledger (June 14, 2014). "MSU's Holder signs with Yankees, Lindgren expected next". The Clarion Ledger. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Ronald Herrera, Jonathan Holder combine for no-hitter". Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- "Source confirms: Jonathan Holder getting September call-up". lohud.com. Retrieved June 18, 2018.