Elbasan County (Albanian: Qarku i Elbasanit) is one of the 12 counties of Albania. The population is 266,245 (2021), in an area of 3199 km². Its capital is the city Elbasan.
Qarku i Elbasanit (Albanian)
|Coordinates: 41°0′N 20°10′E / 41.000°N 20.167°ECoordinates: 41°0′N 20°10′E / 41.000°N 20.167°E|
|Subdivisions||7 municipalities, 385 towns and villages|
|• Council chairman||Eugen Isaj|
|• Total||3,199 km2 (1,235 sq mi)|
|• Density||83/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Until 2000, Elbasan County was subdivided into four districts: Elbasan, Gramsh, Librazhd, and Peqin. Since the 2015 local government reform, the county consists of the following 7 municipalities: Belsh, Cërrik, Elbasan, Gramsh, Librazhd, Peqin and Prrenjas. Before 2015, it consisted of the following 50 municipalities:
- Qendër Librazhd
The municipalities consist of about 385 towns and villages in total. See Villages of Elbasan County for a structured list.
Elbasan County has 266,245 inhabitants as of January 2021. Ethnic groups in the county include, as of the last national census from 2011:
- Albanians = 253,170 (85.58%)
- Macedonians = 94 (0.03%)
- Montenegrins = 10 (0.00%)
- Aromanians = 747 (0.25%)
- Romani = 1,064 (0.36%)
- Egyptians = 433 (0.15%)
- Turkish = 300 (0.13%)
- others = 149 (0.05%)
- no answer = 39,980 (13.51%)
|Religion in Elbasan County (2011 census)|
|Prefer not to answer||13.29%|
|Not relevant/Not stated||2.03%|
|Evangelist or Protestant||0.05%|
- ^ a b c "Population on 1st January by prefecture and sex" (PDF). INSTAT. 7 May 2021. p. 6.
- ^ a b "2011 census results" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- ^ "Law nr. 115/2014" (PDF) (in Albanian). pp. 6368–6369. Retrieved 25 February 2022.