Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop
Edward George Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop PC (20 June 1818 – 1 December 1883), styled Lord Edward Howard between 1842 and 1869, was a British Liberal politician. He served as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household under Lord John Russell from 1846 to 1852.
The Lord Howard of Glossop
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household|
8 July 1846 – 21 February 1852
|Prime Minister||Lord John Russell|
|Preceded by||Lord Ernest Bruce|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Newport|
|Born||20 June 1818|
|Died||1 December 1883(aged 65)|
|Spouse(s)||(1) Augusta Talbot |
(2) Winifreda Phillipps
|Parents||Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk |
Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Background and educationEdit
Howard was the second son of Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk and Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower, daughter of George Leveson-Gower, 1st Duke of Sutherland. Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 14th Duke of Norfolk, was his elder brother. He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge.
In 1846 Howard was sworn of the Privy Council and appointed Vice-Chamberlain of the Household in Lord John Russell's first administration, despite not having a seat in Parliament. Two years later he was returned to parliament for Horsham. He remained as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household until the fall of the Russell administration in 1852. The same year he was returned to parliament for Arundel, a seat he held until 1868. In 1869 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Howard of Glossop, in the County of Derby.
Howard rendered great service to the cause of Roman catholic primary education. From 1869 to 1877 he was chairman of the Catholic Poor Schools Committee. As chairman he set up the Catholic Education Crisis Fund, subscribing £5,000 to it himself, but securing another £20,000 from his family. Seventy thousand scholars were thus added to the Roman catholic schools in England at a cost of at least £350,000.
Lord Howard of Glossop married Augusta Talbot, daughter of George Henry Talbot (half-brother of John Talbot, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury), in 1851. They had two sons and five daughters:
- Hon. Angela Mary Charlotte Fitzalan-Howard (died 1 March 1919), married Marmaduke Constable-Maxwell, 11th Lord Herries of Terregles, and was the mother of Gwendolen Fitzalan-Howard, Duchess of Norfolk.
- Hon. Alice Elizabeth Fitzalan-Howard (died 10 May 1915), married Charles Rawdon-Hastings, 11th Earl of Loudoun.
- Hon. Constance Mary Germana Fitzalan-Howard (died 30 January 1933), married Colonel Charles Lennox Tredcroft.
- Hon. Winifrede Mary Fitzalan-Howard (died 26 January 1937), married William W. Middleton.
- Charles Bernard Talbot Fitzalan-Howard (3 June 1852 – 8 July 1861).
- Hon. Gwendolen Mary Anne Fitzalan-Howard (21 February 1854 – 15 January 1932), married John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute.
- Francis Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 2nd Baron Howard of Glossop (9 May 1859 – 1924), father of Bernard Fitzalan-Howard, 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop.
Augusta died in July 1862. Lord Howard of Glossop married as his second wife Winifred Mary De Lisle, daughter of Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle, in 1863. They had no children. He died in December 1883, aged 65, and was succeeded by his only surviving son, Francis who married Mary Littledale Greenwood, daughter of politician John Greenwood. Lady Howard of Glossop died in December 1909.
- "Edward George Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop", thePeerage.com
- "Howard, the Hon. Edward George (HWRT836EG)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "No. 20621". The London Gazette. 10 July 1846. p. 2530.
- "No. 20621". The London Gazette. 10 July 1846. p. 2533.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 4)
- "No. 21299". The London Gazette. 9 March 1852. p. 741.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 3)
- "No. 23559". The London Gazette. 26 November 1869. p. 6455.
- Dictionary of National Biography entry
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Horsham
| Member of Parliament for Arundel
Lord Ernest Bruce
| Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baron Howard of Glossop