Eastern Institute for Integrated Learning in Management University (EIILM University) was a private university located in Jorethang, Sikkim, India with another campus in Malbasey. The university has been reported by the University Grants Commission (UGC) to be non-functioning since December 2014 and was officially dissolved by the Government of Sikkim in April 2015.
|Motto||Higher Learning, higher thinking and higher education|
|Active||1995–28 April 2015|
The institute was established in 1995. In 1999, the institute started offering Master of Business Administration through Visva-Bharati University. EIILM later[when?] became a constituent college of Visva-Bharati University. In 2006 it was established as a university under Sikkim State Legislature Act No 4, 2006, with Malvika Foundation as the sponsoring body. The Act received assent of the Governor on 24 March 2006 and published under the Government of Sikkim Gazette Notification No. 28/LD/2006 dated 3 April 2006. The university was run by Rai Foundation.
Closure of the universityEdit
In 2013 the VC, chairman, registrar, and the controller of examinations were arrested by the police in Sikkim and Bengal in a case of forgery, cheating and criminal conspiracy.
According to a fact-finding committee constituted by the UGC in April 2015, EIILM University was recognized and approved by the UGC through its main campus in regular mode, but was not authorized to open study centers within or outside Sikkim. The committee concluded that all degrees beyond academic year 2009-14 are not valid. Only degrees awarded to students in four courses, i.e. B.A. (Hospitality & Tourism), BSC, BCA, B.COM and MBA till academic year 2009-14 may be valid. It further concluded that the university is not functioning since December 2014 and reports that the cabinet of Sikkim approved the dissolution of the university on 28 April 2015. Following this, a notice was published by the UGC in August 2015 cautioning students not to take admission in EIILM University. A notice by the Human Resource Development Department of the Government of Sikkim from 27 October 2015 further approved the same conclusions. In another notice, the registrar in charge appointed by the government of Sikkim has validated degrees of students who have completed their course from the Jorethang/Budang campus before dissolution. A petition (WP(C) No.33 of 2015) was filed by the EIILM University to cancel the UGC notification, but it has been dismissed on 2 November 2016 by the Sikkim High Court.
- "EIILM University". www.eiilmuniversity.co.in. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Tiwary, Deeptiman (10 January 2015). "ED attaches Rs 500 crore assets of Rai Foundation". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "EIILM Univ VC, Chairman, Registrar arrested for forgery, criminal conspiracy". India Education Review. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "UGC - EIILM Status Report" (PDF). UGC Official Website. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Notice 301/DIR(HE)/HRDD" (PDF). Human Resource Development Department of the Government of Sikkim. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Notice" (PDF). Human Resource Development Department of the Government of Sikkim. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "WP(C) No.33 of 2015" (PDF). Retrieved 20 July 2017.