Eastern High School (Washington, D.C.)
Eastern High School is a public high school located in Washington, D.C. It educates about 1100 students in grades 9 through 12. Eastern was a part of the DCPS restructuring project, reopening in 2011 to incoming freshmen and growing by a grade level each year. It graduated its first class in 2015.
|Eastern High School|
1700 East Capitol Street NE
|Motto||The Pride of Capitol Hill|
|School district||District of Columbia Public Schools|
|NCES School ID||110003000078|
|Faculty||100+ (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.78:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and white|
|Metro Stop||Stadium Armory|
Eastern was designated an International Baccalaureate school in 2013, and awarded its first IB diploma in 2015. Expected growth will make Eastern the second biggest high school in DCPS after Wilson, with over 1500 students.
Eastern is part of District of Columbia Public Schools. It was founded in 1890 as the Capitol Hill High School was later relocated and rebuilt in the collegiate gothic style and renamed Eastern Senior High School.
- Jerry Chambers, former NBA basketball player
- Vince Colbert, former MLB player (Cleveland Indians)
- Gary G. Coleman, CMSgt, U.S. Air Force (retired), Command Chief, United States Air Forces Europe
- Y'anna Crawley, BET's Sunday Best winner
- Isaac Fulwood (1959), Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia (1989–1992)
- Calvin S. Graves, Chief Judge, Atlanta Municipal Court
- Akilah Johnson, won the 2016 Doodle 4 Google contest with a drawing titled "My Afrocentric Life"
- Franklin McCain (1959), civil rights activist and member of the Greensboro Four
- James Ratiff, former college basketball standout (Howard)
- Dennis Southern, U.S. Treasury Dept. (retired)
- Mary Eleanor Spear, data visualization specialist who pioneered the development of the bar chart and box plot.
- "Eastern Shs. National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 7, 2011. "Total Students: 352 (2009-2010)"
- "School Profiles Home". profiles.dcps.dc.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- "Replace or Modernize? The Future of the District of Columbia's Endangered Old and Historic Public Schools: Eastern Senior High School" (PDF). 21st Century School Fund. May 2001. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Hermann, Peter (2017-09-01). "Isaac Fulwood, Washington police chief during tumultuous era, dies at 77". Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-09-30.
- Cavna, Michael (2016-03-21). "Today's winning Google Doodle invoking Black Lives Matter was designed by a high school sophomore". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- Langer, Emily (2014-01-13). "Franklin McCain, who helped inspire sit-ins for civil rights as part of Greensboro Four, dies". Washington Post. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
|This Washington, D.C. school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|