Time in Denmark
|Area||Standard time||Daylight time||tz database|
|Denmark||UTC+01:00||UTC+02:00||EU transition dates||Europe/Copenhagen|
|Faroe Islands||UTC±00:00||UTC+01:00||EU transition dates||Atlantic/Faroe|
|Ittoqqortoormiit||UTC-01:00||UTC±00:00||EU transition dates||America/Scoresbysund|
|Western Greenland||UTC-03:00||UTC-02:00||EU transition dates||America/Godthab|
|Thule Air Base||UTC-04:00||UTC-03:00||U.S. transition dates||America/Thule|
|The current time in Denmark is: 20:41, 30 March 2020 CEST|
|The current time in Western Greenland is: 16:41, 30 March 2020 WGST|
- The UTC+01:00 centerline (15°E) goes through Bornholm, approximately 2 kilometers from Gudhjem, in the far eastern Denmark, while Copenhagen at 12°34′E corresponds to UTC+0:50, and the west coast at 8°6′E corresponds to UTC+0:32.
- The island of Mykines is actually located at 7°36′W longitude and thus at UTC-00:31 (closer to UTC-01:00 than UTC), however Mykines uses the same timezone as the rest of the Faroe Islands.
- The northeast coast of Greenland. There are a few settlements, like the weather station Danmarkshavn, otherwise unpopulated.
- The area uses same time as Iceland (WET), since it is generally supplied from Iceland. This is however unofficial. In the summer the time is the same as for East Greenland time.
West Greenland TimeEdit
- All the west coast of Greenland
- Tasiilaq and Kulusuk on the east coast
- Except the Thule Air Base
- Some places, such as Qaanaaq (69°13′W corresponding to UTC-04:37) and Kulusuk (37°11′W corresponding to UTC-02:28) are located outside the UTC-03:00 ± 00:30 zone, but still use the same time zone as the capital Nuuk (51°44′W corresponding to UTC-03:26:56)
Daylight saving timeEdit
All of Greenland uses daylight saving time, except for the northeast coast. The transition dates are according to the European Union rules, except for the Thule Air Base which uses United States transition dates and where the below description is not valid.
Daylight saving time starts at 01:00 UTC on the last Sunday in March and ends same time on the last Sunday in October each year, simultaneously in all affected areas.
This means that in Denmark proper, the transition is at 02:00 local standard time (03:00 daylight saving time), and in the Faroe Islands one hour earlier. In most of Greenland the transition takes place at 22:00 local standard time on the day before (23:00 daylight saving time), four hours before Copenhagen.
The first time a common time was used in Denmark, was in 1890, when Copenhagen local time was used as railway time. This was GMT+0:50:20 from Greenwich. In 1890 this time was introduced as a standard time for Denmark. In 1894, Denmark connected to the international time zones, using Greenwich plus one hour. This is the local time of eastern Bornholm, leaving 99.5% of the country west of the time meridian (15°E), which has triggered some sarcastic comments (changing from Copenhagen time to Gudhjem time). However all of the country is located east of Greenwich +00:30 (7.5°E).
Daylight saving time was used in the years 1916, 1940, 1945-1948 and is used from 1980.
The Faroe Islands introduced Greenwich Mean Time in 1908, and Iceland (then a Danish area) introduced GMT-01:00 at the same time (changed to GMT, permanent daylight saving time, in 1968). West Greenland introduced GMT-03:00 in 1916. Daylight saving time was introduced in the Faroe Islands in 1981.
IANA time zone databaseEdit
|c.c.*||Coordinates*||TZ*||Comments*||UTC offset||UTC DST offset|
|GL||+7646-01840||America/Danmarkshavn||east coast, north of Scoresbysund||+00:00||+00:00|
|GL||+7029-02158||America/Scoresbysund||Scoresbysund / Ittoqqortoormiit||−01:00||+00:00|
|GL||+7634-06847||America/Thule||Thule / Pituffik||−04:00||−03:00|
- Time Zone Database
- On airgreenland.com search flights Kangerlussuaq – Neerlerit Inaat and Neerlerit Inaat – Ittoqqortoormiit
- On airgreenland.com search flights Upernavik – Qaanaaq and Ilulissat – Upernavik
- On airgreenland.com search flights Ilulissat – Kangerlussuaq
- On airgreenland.com search flights Nuuk – Kulusuk and Kulusuk – Tasiilaq