Earl of Tankerville
Earl of Tankerville is a noble title drawn from Tancarville in Normandy. The title has been created three times: twice in the Peerage of England, and once (in 1714) in the Peerage of Great Britain for Charles Bennet, 2nd Baron Ossulston. His father, John Bennett, 1st Baron Ossulston, was the elder brother of Henry Bennett, 1st Earl of Arlington.
|Earldom of Tankerville|
Arms of Bennett, Earls of Tankerville: Gules, three demi-lions rampant, argent, and in the centre point a bezant.
|Creation date||1418 (first creation)|
1695 (second creation)
1714 (third creation)
|Monarch||Henry V (first creation)|
William III (second creation)
George III (third creation)
|Peerage||Peerage of Great Britain|
|First holder||John Grey, 1st Earl of Tankerville|
|Present holder||Peter Bennett, 10th Earl of Tankerville|
|Heir presumptive||Adrian Bennett|
|Subsidiary titles||Baron Ossulton|
|Extinction date||1459 (first creation)|
1701 (second creation)
|Former seat(s)||Chillingham Castle|
|Motto||De bon vouloir servir le roy|
("To serve the king with good will")
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Earls of Tankerville, First Creation (1418)Edit
Earls of Tankerville, Second Creation (1695)Edit
Barons Ossulston (1682)Edit
Earls of Tankerville, Third Creation (1714)Edit
- Charles Bennet, 1st Earl of Tankerville (1674–1722)
- Charles Bennet, 2nd Earl of Tankerville (1697-1753)
- Charles Bennet, 3rd Earl of Tankerville (1716–1767)
- Charles Bennet, 4th Earl of Tankerville (1743–1822)
- Charles Bennet, 5th Earl of Tankerville (1776–1859)
- Charles Bennet, 6th Earl of Tankerville (1810–1899)
- Charles Bennett, Lord Ossulston (1850–1879)
- George Montagu Bennet, 7th Earl of Tankerville (1852–1931)
- Charles Augustus Ker Bennett, 8th Earl of Tankerville (1897–1971)
- Charles Augustus Grey Bennett, 9th Earl of Tankerville (1921–1980)
- Peter Grey Bennett, 10th Earl of Tankerville (b. 1956)
- Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage, and Companionage. London: Debrett's. 1876. p. 462. Retrieved 9 October 2017 – via Internet Archive.
- Burke, Bernard (9 October 1884). "The general armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales; comprising a registry of armorial bearings from the earliest to the present time". London: Harrison & Sons. p. 70. Retrieved 9 October 2017 – via Internet Archive.
- "Tankerville, Earl of (GB, 1714)". Cracroft's Peerage. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Peter Grey Bennett, 10th Earl of Tankerville