EMI Music Japan
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)
EMI Music Japan Inc. (Japanese: 株式会社EMIミュージック・ジャパン, Hepburn: Kabushiki-gaisha EMI Music Japan), formerly Toshiba EMI (東芝イーエムアイ株式会社, Tōshiba EMI Kabushiki-gaisha), was one of Japan's leading music companies. It became a wholly owned subsidiary of British music company EMI Group Ltd. on June 30, 2007, after Toshiba sold off its previous 45% stake. Its CEO and president was Kazuhiko Koike. When EMI Music Japan was trading as Toshiba-EMI, it was involved with the production of anime. On April 1, 2013, the company became defunct, following its absorption into Universal Music Japan as a sublabel under the name EMI Records Japan.
|Founded||October 1, 1960 in Tokyo, Japan|
|Defunct||April 1, 2013 (as a company)|
|Fate||Dissolved; carried into Universal Music Japan|
|Successor||EMI Records Japan|
Virgin EMI Records
|Kazuhiko Koike: President and CEO|
Junya Nakasone: Senior Managing Director
Hitoshi Namekata: Managing Director
|Revenue||see Universal Music Group|
Number of employees
|Parent||EMI 1973 –2013|
Toshiba Corp. 1960 –2007
The company was founded on October 1, 1960, as Toshiba Musical Industries (東芝音楽工業株式会社, Tōshiba Ongaku Kōgyō Kabushiki Kaisha). From 1962, it licensed Columbia (UK) titles for release in Japan. After an injection of capital by Capitol EMI, EMI acquired 50% of the company in October 1973, and the name was changed to Toshiba EMI Limited. On October 3, 1994, the equity ratio of the company was changed, in which EMI obtained 55% with Toshiba owning the remaining 45%. On June 30, 2007, Toshiba Corporation sold the remaining 45% stake in the company to EMI, giving EMI full ownership of the company. The name was then changed to EMI Music Japan, reflecting Toshiba's divestiture from the business. In 2012, EMI Music Japan and Universal Music Group's Japanese branch was scheduled to hold a corporate swap in response to the merger by January 15, 2013, with Kazuhiko Koike serving as EMIJ's president. On April 1, 2013, EMI Music Japan was officially absorbed into Universal Music Japan, became defunct as a company and has been renamed to EMI Records Japan. The label continued to use the TOCT catalog code until October 2013, when it started to use the TYCT catalog code. The official website has been shut down as of October 23, 2013.
After the dissolution and absorption, some of the former EMI staffs and executives has been into different companies away from Universal Music. Then-executive producer San-e Ichii has been the managing director of Japan Content Expansion Department. Kazuhiko Koike (also former CEO of Universal Music Japan) has stepped down from his position as CEO by the end of 2013, nine months after the merger, and became non-executive chairman by the beginning of 2014. He was replaced by Naoshi Fujikura.
EMI Music Japan's present slogan is "Music for all, All for music".
- Awake Sounds
- EMI Records (Japan)
- Foozay Music
- Reservotion Records
- SakuraStar Records
- SoundTown (EMI Strategic Marketing)
- Suite Supuesto!
- TM Factory
- Unlimited Records
- "Toshiba : Press Releases 14 December, 2006". www.toshiba.co.jp.
- "Universal Music Group, the world's leading music company - Home Page - UMG". UMG.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20070929095500/http://www.emimusic.jp/company/pdf/emi20070629.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2021-01-29. Missing or empty
- "役員人事のお知らせ - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN". universal-music.co.jp.
- Universal Music UK Announces Launch of Virgin EMI Records. Billboard (2013-03-18). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- EMI Records Japan UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN official website notice Archived 2007-08-11 at the Wayback Machine
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-19. Retrieved 2014-10-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Official website—(in Japanese)
- 50th Anniversary of EMI Music Japan (2010) website—(in Japanese)