Dublin Townships (Dáil constituency)
Dublin Townships was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1937 to 1948. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
|Former Dáil Éireann|
|County/City council||County Dublin|
The constituency consisted primarily of areas which had recently been incorporated into the expanded boundaries of Dublin city: the former Pembroke Township (comprising Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Sandymount, Irishtown and Ringsend), as well as Clonskeagh, Rathmines and Rathgar.
The boundaries were defined by the Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935 as: "The area referred to in the Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1930, as the added urban districts and also so much of the land described in Part III of the First Schedule to the said Act as is contiguous to the said area and also the townland of Clonskeagh." The "added urban districts" are defined in the 1930 Act as "the urban district of Pembroke and the urban district of Rathmines and Rathgar".
The boundaries remained unchanged throughout the constituency's existence.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Dublin Townships 1937–1948|
|John A. Costello
|12th||1944||John A. Costello|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1944 general electionEdit
|1944 general election: Dublin Townships|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán MacEntee||10,034||27.4||1||1|
|Fine Gael||John A. Costello||9,530||26.0||2||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Bernard Butler||7,895||21.6||3|
|Fine Gael||Ernest Benson||7,056||19.3|
|Labour Party||Herman Good||2,104||5.8|
|Electorate: 54,479 Valid: 36,619 Quota: 9,155 Turnout: 67.2%|
1943 general electionEdit
|1943 general election: Dublin Townships|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán MacEntee||11,336||29.4||1||1|
|Fine Gael||Ernest Benson||8,953||23.2||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Bernard Butler||6,499||16.8||3|
|Fine Gael||John A. Costello||7,508||19.5|
|Labour Party||James Cawley||2,205||5.7|
|Labour Party||Joseph Browne||2,096||5.4|
|Electorate: 54,479 Valid: 38,597 Quota: 9,650 Turnout: 70.8%|
1938 general electionEdit
|1938 general election: Dublin Townships|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán MacEntee||10,903||30.6||1||1|
|Fine Gael||Ernest Benson||9,804||27.5||2||1|
|Fine Gael||John A. Costello||8,813||24.8||3|
|Fianna Fáil||William Black||6,081||17.1|
|Electorate: 55,518 Valid: 35,601 Quota: 8,901 Turnout: 64.1%|
1937 general electionEdit
|1937 general election: Dublin Townships|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán MacEntee||10,124||27.4||1||1|
|Fine Gael||John A. Costello||8,418||22.8||2|
|Fine Gael||Ernest Benson||8,313||22.5||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Bernard Butler||3,587||9.7|
|Electorate: 52,664 Valid: 36,977 Quota: 9,245 Turnout: 70.2%|
- "Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act, 1935: First Schedule (Revised constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1930 (Section 1: Definitions)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1937: Dublin Townships". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "General election 1938: Dublin Townships". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "General election 1943: Dublin Townships". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "General election 1944: Dublin Townships". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 12 February 2009.