Duarte of Portugal, 4th Duke of Guimarães
Duarte of Portugal, 4th Duke of Guimarães (October 7, 1515 in Lisbon – September 20, 1540 in Lisbon) was a Portuguese infante (prince); the sixth son of King Manuel I of Portugal and his wife Maria of Aragon.
|Duarte of Portugal|
|Duke of Guimarães|
Edward of Portugal, 4th Duke of Guimarães
|Born||7 October 1515|
Lisbon, Kingdom of Portugal
|Died||20 September 1540 (aged 24)|
Lisbon, Kingdom of Portugal
|Spouse||Isabel of Braganza|
|Issue||Maria, Hereditary Princess of Parma|
Catarina, Duchess of Braganza
Duarte, Duke of Guimarães
|Father||Manuel I of Portugal|
|Mother||Maria of Aragon|
He had as tutor André de Resende, who later wrote Duarte's biography. He also loved hunting and was quite a good musician.
In 1537 he married Isabella of Braganza, daughter of James, Duke of Braganza, who was dowried with the Dukedom of Guimarães in her own right. After the marriage, Infante Duarte became the 4th Duke of Guimarães.
This marriage produced three children:
- Infanta Maria of Guimarães (1538–1577), married Alessandro Farnese, Duke of Parma and Piacenza.
- Infanta Catarina, Duchess of Braganza (1540–1614), Duchess of Braganza, married to John, 6th Duke of Braganza, she was a claimant of the throne of Portugal in 1580 (See: 1580 Portuguese succession crisis).
- Infante Duarte, 5th Duke of Guimarães (1541–1576)
He is buried in the Monastery of Jerónimos in Lisbon.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 9 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- Liss, Peggy K. (10 November 2015). Isabel the Queen: Life and Times. University of Pennsylvania Press. p. 11. ISBN 9780812293203.
- Stephens, Henry Morse (1903). The Story of Portugal. G.P. Putnam's Sons. p. 139. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 10 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- Isabella I, Queen of Spain at the Encyclopædia Britannica
- de Sousa, Antonio Caetano (1735). Historia genealogica da casa real portugueza [Genealogical History of the Royal House of Portugal] (in Portuguese). 2. Lisboa Occidental. p. 497.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 15 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- Ortega Gato, Esteban (1999). "Los Enríquez, Almirantes de Castilla" [The Enríquezes, Admirals of Castille] (PDF). Publicaciones de la Institución "Tello Téllez de Meneses" (in Spanish). 70: 42. ISSN 0210-7317.
- Henry III, King of Castille at the Encyclopædia Britannica
- ”Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil” – Vol. I, page 387. Published by Zairol Lda., Lisbon 1989.
Teodósio I, Duke of Braganza
Duke of Guimarães
Duarte II, 5th Duke of Guimarães
|This biography of a member of the Portuguese royal family is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|