Beatriz, Duchess of Viseu
Infanta Beatriz of Portugal (13 June 1430 – 30 September 1506) was a Portuguese infanta, daughter of Infante João, Lord of Reguengos (fourth son of King John I of Portugal and his wife Philippa of Lancaster) and Isabella of Barcelos a daughter of Afonso I, Duke of Braganza.
|Duchess of Viseu|
Depiction of Infanta Beatriz in a 1678 portrait in the Convent of Beja
|Born||13 June 1430|
|Died||30 September 1506 (aged 76)|
|Spouse||Infante Fernando, Duke of Viseu|
Manuel I of Portugal|
Leonor of Viseu
Isabella of Viseu
|House||House of Aviz|
|Father||Infante João, Lord of Reguengos|
|Mother||Isabella of Barcelos|
Due to the Aviz dynasty marriage policy, Beatrice was 1st cousin and sister-in-law of king Afonso V of Portugal, 2nd cousin and mother-in-law of king John II of Portugal, 1st cousin and mother-in-law of Ferdinand II, 3rd Duke of Braganza and mother of king Manuel I of Portugal, playing an active role in politics during the consecutive reigns of Afonso V, John II and Manuel I.
Through her sister Isabella, wife of John II of Castile, she was an aunt of Isabella I of Castile, helping to settle both the Treaty of Alcáçovas and the Treaty of Terçarias de Moura between the Kingdom of Portugal and the Kingdom of Castile, after meeting with her niece Isabella in person.
She was also predominant in the Order of Santiago, acting as tutor for her son Diogo.
Infanta Beatrice protected and encouraged Gil Vicente, a Portuguese playwright, considered as the father of the Portuguese theatre.
Marriage and childrenEdit
- Infante João (1448–1472), 3rd Duke of Viseu, 2nd Duke of Beja, 7th Constable of Portugal.
- Infante Diogo (1450–1484), 4th Duke of Viseu, 3rd Duke of Beja;
- Infanta Eleanor of Viseu (1458–1525), married to King John II of Portugal, becoming Queen of Portugal;
- Infanta Isabella of Viseu (1459–1521), married to Ferdinand II, Duke of Braganza;
- Infante Duarte of Viseu (1462 – died in childhood);
- Infante Dinis of Viseu (1464 – died in childhood);
- Infanta Catarina of Viseu (1465 – died in childhood);
- Infante Simão of Viseu (1467 – died in childhood);
- Infante Afonso of Viseu (1468 – died in childhood);
- Infante Manuel (1469–1521), 5th Duke of Viseu, 4th Duke of Beja. Became King of Portugal, as Manuel I, following his cousin's (John II) death.
|Ancestors of Beatriz, Duchess of Viseu|
- ”Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil” – Vol. I, page 298 and 312. Published by Zairol Lda., Lisbon 1989.