Dotun Popoola (born in 1981, Lagos) is a contemporary Nigerian artist (sculptor) who specializes in synergetic metal sculpting. He creates pieces of art works from discarded scrap metals. His works are focused on transforming trash to treasures, rubbish to rubies and waste to wealth by repurposing wastes that threaten the ecosystem.
|Alma mater||Auchi Polytechnic |
Obafemi Awolowo University
|Board member of||artinmedicine Project|
Early life edit
Dotun studied painting and general arts in Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State where he holds national diploma in painting and general art in 2004. He thereafter went to Obafemi Awolowo University, where he obtained his first and second degree in fine and applied arts with a specialisation in sculpture and painting respectively. Dotun is a resident artist in Lopez Studio in Lemmon, South Dakota, and travels between United States and Nigeria to paint commissioned murals. He was a curator at the National Gallery of Art.
Exhibitions, works and contributions edit
Popoola works primarily with scrap metal, where creating animal forms is his favourite way to use the medium. Some of his works were exhibited in ART X Lagos. He had a solo exhibition called "Irin Ajo" (Journey) in Signature Beyond Art Gallery, Lagos, where he presented around 24 metal works of his.
- Chukwuma, Udemma (March 4, 2018). "When scrap metals meet creativity, what you get is..." The Nation (Nigeria). Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "About Dotun Popoola".
- Enwonwu, Oliver (February 22, 2018). "DOTUN POPOOLA: IRIN AJO". Omenka. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "Dotun Popoola: Di Nigerian 'metal-bender'". BBC. 2018-10-25. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Sowole, Tajudeen (January 13, 2019). "Popoola's metal adventure pulsates in animal anatomy". The Guardian (Nigeria). Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Lockett, Chynna (June 20, 2018). "Nigerian Artists And John Lopez Open Show In Lemmon". KUSD (FM). Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Donovan, Lauren. "Prairie sky inspires artists from African nation of Nigeria". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Oluwafunmilayo, Akinpelu (July 12, 2019). "Meet Dotun Popoola, renowned Nigerian artist who creates artwork out of scrap metal". Legit.ng. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "Artist tells Nigeria's story through sculptures made from scrap metal". Africanews. January 23, 2019. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Mitter, Siddhartha (2019-02-08). "Lagos, City of Hustle, Builds an Art 'Ecosystem'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Lasisi, Akeem (April 12, 2018). "With Popoola, a metal dog can bite". The Punch. Retrieved July 15, 2019.