This article may contain an excessive number of citations. (November 2020)
Type of site
|News, Entertainment, Politics|
|Available in||English, Hausa|
It is ranked as the #1 news and entertainment platform and the 7th overall most visited website in Nigeria by Alexa Internet. Legit.ng is the biggest publisher on Facebook by the audience in ‘Media’ category.
Founded in 2012, Legit.ng has its headquarters in Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria and launched an editorial hub in the country’s capital, Abuja, in May 2015. Legit.ng is partner of Genesis Media global consumer Internet company which also cooperates with Tuko (in Kenya) and Yen (in Ghana).
In May 2014, Legit.ng released an Android mobile app. It soon became #1 in its category in Nigeria and was featured by Google Play Market. The app hit 500,000 installs in 10 months. The all-time number of installs is now getting close to 5M.
The website's servers were attacked by hackers in July 2015.
In February 2016, Legit.ng was among the first in Nigeria to roll out Facebook’s instant articles. In 2017, Facebook did a case study of this launch with Legit.ng and published the story in the Facebook Audience Network.
In March 2017, Legit.ng started a local journalism project to connect the reporters representing all the 36 states and the FCT. In the same period, a missing person initiative was launched, which in future helped Nigerians find their loved ones and return them home.
In July 2019, Legit.ng received an award for the most people-friendly online platform for election coverage during the 2019 polls. The recognition was held at the Suncity Champion of Democracy and Development Awards held in Abuja.
A new desk, human interest, was launched to tell more stories about outstanding Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora in February 2020.
In October 2020, Legit.ng organized Big Naija Independence prominent student contest to celebrate Nigeria's 60th Independence. The Big Naija Independence contest was aimed at spotting young talented students passionate about journalism and writing.
As of July 2015, it has more than 13 million monthly readers and is ranked as the 7th overall most visited website in Nigeria and the first among publishers by Alexa. Currently the website's Facebook community has over 4.3 million members. Legit.ng is the biggest publisher on Facebook by the audience in ‘Media’ category.
Legit.ng is technology-driven media.
Legit.ng’s staff use an analytical tool by .IO Technologies[failed verification] to explore real-time reports on articles’ performance and place the most relevant pieces of information first on the website’s title page.[self-published source][failed verification]
- Okuku, Mitchelle (2018-10-24). "NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "[Latest] Top 21 Blogs In Nigeria 2018 Popular Nigeria Blogs - Oasdom". Oasdom. 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- "Top Sites in Nigeria". Alexa Internet.
- "Legit.ng Traffic, Demographics and Competitors". Alexa Internet.
- Socialbakers. "Facebook stats of popular Media pages in Nigeria". Socialbakers.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- "Почему украинские медийщики решили, что проще зарабатывать деньги в Африке и на Филиппинах → Roem.ru" (in Russian). 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-10-23.
- "NAIJ Legit.ng: Nigeria News Breaking & Trending - Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Ukwu, Jerrywright (2015-03-30). "History! Naij.com Is The First Nigerian App To Reach 500,000 Downloads". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- kayode oladeinde (2015-06-23). "Naij, MTN, Opera dangle 'free mobile Internet' - Technology Times". Technologytimes.ng. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Adewale (19 June 2015). "What you need to know about the Naij-Opera-MTN free internet webpassTechCity". Techcityng.com. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "FREE INTERNET: Naij.com, Opera, MTN Partner for Nigerian Mobile Users". EntrepreNEWS. 2015-06-18. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Anozim (2015-06-26). "MTN, Opera Software Partner to Improve Internet Access | The Guardian Nigeria". Ngrguardiannews.com. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Internet Vulnerability: Cyber attacks on Naij.com To Boko Haram Cyber Terrorism | WAKAPOST". Wakapost. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2015-07-24.
- "Hausa Daily News | Labaran Hausa - LEGIT.NG". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. (in Hausa). Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Naij.com Launches Hausa News Portal - Nigerian Bulletin - Trending News". Nigerian Bulletin - Trending News. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Facebook Extends Instant Articles to All Android Users – Adweek". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Instant Articles Launches to Everyone on Android, with More Than 350 Publications Globally | Facebook Media". Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Naij.com success story". Facebook. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "How Naij.com partnered with Audience Network in order to grow its platform". YNAIJA. 3 November 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- Ikeke, Nkem (2017-03-09). "NAIJ.com is looking for local reporters to take part in brand new Local Journalism Project". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- Ejiofor, Clement (2017-07-23). "Raise alarm about missing person or case of kidnapping in Nigeria via Legit.ng". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- Odejobi, Micheal (2017-09-01). "Nigerian boy goes missing on his way to church (photo)". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "The Biggest Publisher In Nigeria NAIJ.com Upgrades To Legit.ng » Naijaloaded". Naijaloaded | Nigeria's Most Visited Music & Entertainment Website. 2018-10-18. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "The biggest Nigeria publisher NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng". Tribune. 2018-10-18. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Nigeria online news publisher, NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng — Leadership Newspaper". leadership.ng. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Case study - Legit" (PDF). Google News Initiative. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "Legit.ng nominated for most people friendly online platform award". www.mynigeria.com. 2019-07-09. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- "Big Naija Independence: Prominent Students Contest". www.specials.legit.ng. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- "Naij.com". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-07-24.
- "Legit TV". YouTube. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Top 50 YouTube channels in Nigeria | Most Subscribed Youtube Channel - Vidooly". vidooly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Data-driven platform for business teams | IO technologies". IO technologies. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Okuku, Mitchelle (2018-11-02). "Unveiling unique Legit.ng tech features you may not have heard about". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Davtyan, Sam (2018-01-01). "Data Utilization is Changing Everything, Don't Get Left Behind". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "How NAIJ.com's Technology Has Improved Over the Past 1 Year" (Press release). Legit.ng. Retrieved 2018-11-20 – via www.newswire.com.
- Okuku, Mitchelle (2018-07-16). "How NAIJ.com's technology has improved over the past 1 year". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-20.