Dorothy's Harp is a studio album by jazz harpist Dorothy Ashby released in 1969 via the Cadet label. A few years after releasing Dorothy’s Harp, she started working with Stevie Wonder. The record includes two Brazilian-touched compositions: "Reza" and "Canto de Ossanha". The album was re-released as a CD in 2006.
|Studio album by Dorothy Ashby|
|Studio||Ter Mar Studios, Chicago.|
|Label||Cadet LPS 825|
|Dorothy Ashby chronology|
A reviewer of Dusty Groove wrote "One of the grooviest Dorothy Ashby albums of the 60s – a set that has her already-great jazz work on harp backed by Chicago soul arrangements from Richard Evans – all in a blend that's somewhere in the territory of the Soulful Strings, but even groovier! And as an added bonus, Odell Brown even plays a bit of Fender Rhodes on the record – which sounds especially great! Both Ashby and Evans are at the height of their powers here – mixing together bits of jazz, soul, and trippier elements in a sublime late 60s Cadet Records blend – one that's carried off perfectly on the original tunes "Truth Spoken Here", "Tornado", "Cause I Need It", and "Just Had To Tell Somebody" – but which also sounds great on some of the album's cool covers too! Other titles include Brazilian numbers "Reza" and "Canto De Ossanha" – both of which are transformed in Dorothy's hands – plus "This Girl's In Love", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", and "Windmills of Your Mind"!".
|1.||"By The Time I Get To Phoenix"||Jimmy Webb||3:31|
|2.||"Canto De Ossanha"||Baden Powell, Vinicius De Moraes||3:37|
|3.||"Love Is Blue"||André Popp, Bryan Blackburn||2:53|
|4.||"Reza"||Edu Lobo, Ruy Guerra||3:01|
|5.||"The Girl's In Love with You"||Burt Bacharach and Hal David||2:50|
|6.||"Truth Spoken Here"||Richard Evans||2:52|
|8.||"The Windmills of Your Mind"||Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand||3:22|
|9.||"Cause I Need It"||Dorothy Ashby||3:02|
|10.||"Just Had To Tell Somebody"||Dorothy Ashby||3:09|
|11.||"Fool on the Hill"||John Lennon, Paul McCartney||3:40|
- Design – Randy Harter
- Electric piano [Fender] – Odell Brown
- Engineer – Stu Black
- Flute – Lennie Druss (tracks: B5)
- Oboe – Lennie Druss (tracks: B3)
- Photography – Jeff Lowenthal
- Producer – Richard Evans
- Cadet Album Discography (1965-1971) accessed April 13, 2016
- "Dorothy Ashby – Dorothy's Harp". Discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Dorothy Ashby: Dorothy's Harp". Revive Music. revive-music.com. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Dorothy Ashby: Dorothy's Harp". Allmusic. allmusic.com. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Dorothy Ashby Dorothy's Harp (180 gram pressing)". Dusty Groove. Retrieved 17 June 2018.