Dixon Javier Machado Moreno (born February 22, 1992) is a Venezuelan professional baseball shortstop in the Chicago Cubs organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Detroit Tigers. He has also played second base and third base in the Major Leagues.
Machado with the Detroit Tigers in 2018
|Born: February 22, 1992|
San Cristóbal, Táchira, Venezuela
|May 25, 2015, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||37|
The Tigers purchased Machado's contract after the 2012 season, adding him to their 40-man roster. He was designated for assignment on December 4, 2013, to make room on the 40-man roster for Joe Nathan. He was added to the 40-man roster again on November 20, 2014. During the 2014 season, he hit .305 with five home runs and 32 RBI, with a .965 fielding percentage in 90 games with the Double-A Erie SeaWolves. He also appeared in 41 games with the Class-A Advanced Lakeland Flying Tigers, hitting .252 with one home run and eight RBI, with a .972 fielding percentage.
Machado was named the Eastern League Player of the Month for the month of August 2014. He hit .410 (34-for-83) with six doubles, three home runs, 17 runs scored, 15 RBI, five stolen bases, a .515 on-base percentage and a .590 slugging percentage in 25 games during the month. He ranked first among all Eastern League hitters in batting average (.410), on-base percentage (.590) and OPS (1.105), tied for second in hits (34), third in slugging percentage (.590) and walks (18).
Machado was called up from the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens on May 24, 2015. He made his major league debut the next day in a game against the Oakland Athletics. Prior to being called up, Machado was hitting .274 with one home run and 16 RBIs in 40 games with the Mud Hens. On May 27, Machado got his first career major league hit, a single off of Sean Doolittle of the Oakland Athletics in the sixth inning.
On September 1, 2015, Machado was named to the International League post-season All-Star game. Machado was hitting .259 with 47 RBIs, 15 steals and a .640 OPS in 124 games with the Mud Hens. His .976 fielding percentage ranked among the best for International League shortstops.
Machado was named the Venezuelan Winter League Player of Week for the week ending October 26, 2015. While playing for Leones del Caracas, Machado batted 22-for-57 (.386) with seven doubles, three home runs and 11 RBIs.
Machado spent most of 2016 with the Toledo Mud Hens, appearing in only eight September games for the Detroit Tigers.
Machado made the 2017 opening day roster for the Tigers. On July 6, he hit his first Major League home run off Chris Stratton of the San Francisco Giants. Machado would go on to hit .259 in 166 at-bats for the 2017 Tigers.
Machado again made the Tigers' opening day roster in 2018. He hit a ninth-inning walk-off home run on April 18, lifting the Tigers to a win over the Baltimore Orioles, but was designated for assignment on July 4 after batting .206 in 67 games with only that one home run. After clearing waivers unclaimed by any other major league team, Machado could have elected free agency but chose to accept the assignment to AAA Toledo on July 8. He declared free agency on October 3, 2018.
- Network, Sports (November 20, 2012). "Tigers release Raburn - Wire MLB - The Sacramento Bee". Sacbee.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Adams, Steve (December 4, 2013). "Tigers Designate Dixon Machado For Assignment". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Iott, Chris (November 20, 2014). "Detroit Tigers add Dixon Machado, Angel Nesbitt to 40-man roster, protect them from Rule 5 draft". MLive.com. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Dixon Machado Named EL Player of the Month". MiLB.com. September 4, 2014. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- McMann, Aaron (May 24, 2015). "Flashy shortstop Dixon Machado to temporarily fill second utility infielder spot for Detroit Tigers". MLive.com. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Eymer, Rick (May 25, 2015). "With Iglesias injured, Machado makes debut". MLB.com. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Eymer, Rick (May 27, 2015). "Machado gets first Major League hit". MLB.com. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Machado named to 2015 IL All-Star Team". MiLB.com. September 1, 2015. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (October 26, 2015). "Machado named Venezuelan Winter League Player of Week". MLB.com. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- "Sanchez sharp again for Tigers in 6-2 win over Giants". CBSsports.com. July 6, 2017. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Beck, Jason (April 18, 2018). "Tigers' Machado walks off O's in wild finish". MLB.com. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "Tigers designate Dixon Machado for assignment". MLB.com. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Woodbery, Evan (July 8, 2018). "Tigers' Dixon Machado clears waivers, sent to Toledo". MLive.com. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Todd, Jeff (October 8, 2018). "Players Electing Free Agency". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Woodbery, Evan (November 30, 2018). "Tigers re-sign veteran reliever; Dixon Machado on the move". MLive.com. Retrieved November 30, 2018.