District Taco is a Mexican restaurant chain with 13 locations in the Mid-Atlantic region, mostly in the Washington, D.C. area. It serves Yucatan-style cuisine, including burritos, quesadillas, tacos, and other items. It was founded in 2009 as a food truck in Rosslyn, Virginia and opened its first traditional location in Arlington the next year. In 2018, it was announced that the chain plans to open a location in Downtown Silver Spring. In 2016, founder Osiris Hoil was a winner of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award.
|Founded||2008Arlington, Virginia, United Statesin|
Number of locations
|Washington, D.C. area|
District Taco was founded by Osiris Hoil and Marc Wallace, in 2009 as a food truck in Rosslyn. At the time, Hoil had just been laid off from his construction job during the Great Recession and his neighbor, Marc Wallace encouraged him to go into the food business, selling the recipes he prepared at home. Wallace would later serve as an investor and co-owner in the business. In November 2010, Hoil opened his first brick and mortar restaurant on Lee Highway in Arlington. In the Spring of 2012, the chain opened its first location in the District of Columbia, finally living up to its name. By the summer of 2017, the chain had grown to include ten locations in Virginia and Washington, D.C. In November of that year, the chain opened its first location outside the Washington metro area and eleventh overall, in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. The next month, they opened their first location in Maryland, in Riverdale Park.
District Taco describes its cuisine as Yucatan-style, similar to what Hoil's mother used to prepare. These include burritos, quesadillas, tacos, and other offerings. The stores use only fresh ingredients, something Hoil said his mother always stressed when he was a child. The store is also open for breakfast, serving traditional items such as huevos rancheros in addition to Mexican-American options such as breakfast burritos.
Hoil is a vocal opponent of President Donald Trump and as a result, the chain has been the subject of some political controversy. Hoil was critical of a comment by a Trump surrogate describing the threat of "taco trucks on every corner", saying "I had to laugh. A taco truck on every corner? Why not!" Later, the chain became embroiled in controversy with Trump surrogate Roger Stone, who criticized the restaurant chain on Twitter and (falsely) claimed that the stores did not accept cash.
- District Taco - Locations
- "District Taco Comes To Silver Spring". Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "EY Announces Winners for the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2016 Mid-Atlantic Award". Ernst & Young. June 16, 2016. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Using his mom’s recipes, this Mexican immigrant became the D.C. taco king Washington Post
- Immigrant Turned Entrepreneur: 'Taco Stand Was My School' NPR.com
- From Construction Job to 7 Restaurants: An Immigrant's Path to Success CNBC.com
- District Taco Restaurant Opens Today ARLNow
- District Taco will finally live up to its name this spring Washington Post
- Nearing full occupancy, KoP Town Center's doors are closing to restaurant tenants Philadelphia Business Journal
- District Taco Coming to King of Prussia Town Center Montco Today
- Whole Foods debuts in Riverdale Park, another symbol of Prince George’s progress Washington Post
- Riverdale Park is getting Maryland’s first District Taco The Diamondback
- Not Your Abuelita’s Taco Truck: District Taco Opens a Restaurant and Goes All Chipotle Washington City Paper
- Menu - District Taco
- Taco trucks: As American as lo mein and pizza pie The Washington Post
- Let’s All Get Some District Taco for Lunch Today Because 1. It is absolutely Delicious and 2. This f-ing guy PopVille