The breakfast burrito, sometimes referred to as a breakfast wrap outside of the American Southwest, is a variety of American breakfast composed of breakfast items wrapped inside a flour tortilla burrito. This style was invented and popularized in several regional American cuisines, most notably originating in New Mexican cuisine, and expanding beyond Southwestern cuisine and neighboring Tex-Mex. Southwestern-style breakfast burritos may often include scrambled eggs, potatoes, cheese, (chili or bell) peppers, salsa, onions, chorizo, bacon, or sour cream.
|Place of origin||New Mexico, US|
|Associated national cuisine||New Mexican cuisine and the Southwestern United States|
|Main ingredients||Eggs, potatoes, wrapped in a tortilla.|
|Ingredients generally used||Bacon, sausage, meat, onions, etc.|
|Variations||In the state of New Mexico, instead of other peppers or chorizo, it has red and/or green New Mexico chile.|
Tia Sophia's, a New Mexican diner in Santa Fe, claims the first use of the term "breakfast burrito" on a menu, in 1975, although a rolled tortilla containing some combination of eggs, bacon, potatoes, and cheese existed in Southwestern cooking well before that. Fast food giant McDonald's introduced their version in the late 1980s, and by the 1990s, more fast food restaurants caught on to the style, with Sonic Drive-In, Hardee's, and Carl's Jr. offering breakfast burritos on their menus. In 2014, Taco Bell launched their breakfast menu, which included breakfast burritos.
The breakfast burrito can be prepared with myriad filling ingredients, such as eggs, ham, cheese, onion, peppers, bacon, Canadian bacon, potatoes, sausage, avocado, tomato, spinach, beans, olives and other ingredients. In New Mexico it is often served "smothered" (covered with a chile sauce), or "handheld" (with chile sauce or chopped green chile inside). The breakfast roll of Ireland is prepared similarly to a breakfast burrito.
- Burrell, Jackie (April 4, 2016). "Behold the best breakfast burrito ever". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Cheek, Lawrence. (Oct, 2001). Rise and shine – breakfast – Recipe. Sunset. Archived 2007-07-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "Burger King is bringing out a new weapon to beat McDonald's and Taco Bell in the fast-food breakfast battles". Business Insider. May 3, 2016. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "McDonald's breakfast items ranked by healthiness". San Jose Mercury News. May 13, 2016. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Schouten, Lucy (March 10, 2016). "Taco Bell's $1 breakfast burrito: The latest skirmish in the 'breakfast wars'?". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Bellomo, Rheanna O'Neil (February 29, 2016). "Dunkin' Donuts Just Jumped Into the Breakfast Burrito Game". Delish. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- The World's Best Street Food: Where to Find It and How to Make It. Lonely Planet Publications. 2012. p. pt29. ISBN 978-1-74321-664-4. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Boyle, Molly (April 29, 2016). "Burritoville: Breakfast-burrito highlights". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Boyle, Molly (April 5, 2019). "Old World hospitality, New World cuisine: The story of Tomasita's, Atrisco Café, Tia Sophia's, and the Plaza Café". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Michman, Ronald D.; Greco, Alan James (1995). Retailing Triumphs and Blunders: Victims of Competition in the New Age of Marketing Management. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 182. ISBN 9780899308692. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Andrew F. Smith (2 December 2011). Fast Food and Junk Food: An Encyclopedia of What We Love to Eat [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of What We Love to Eat. ABC-CLIO. p. 72. ISBN 978-0-313-39394-5.
Andrew F. Smith (28 October 2013). Food and Drink in American History: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia [3 Volumes]: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p. 119. ISBN 978-1-61069-233-5.
- Luna, Nancy (26 March 2014). "Taco Bell breakfast: 8 must-know details, plus early waffle taco reviews". OC Register. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Emina, S.; Eggs, M. (2013). The Breakfast Bible. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 110. ISBN 978-1-4088-3990-4. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Lisk, M. (2009). The Burrito Diet. Al Lavallis Enterprises. p. pt104. ISBN 978-0-557-10069-9. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- McDonald, Brian (2008-05-12). "Top breakfast baguette rolls into Irish history". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2019-02-03.
- Media related to Breakfast burritos at Wikimedia Commons