Disco 2 is the eighth album by English electronic music duo Pet Shop Boys, released in September 1994 by Parlophone Records. It consists of remixes of songs from their albums Behaviour (1990) and Very (1993) as well as B-sides from the time.
|Remix album by|
|Released||12 September 1994|
|Pet Shop Boys chronology|
Background and compositionEdit
The album was an attempt to showcase the duo's recent remixes and possibly recreate some of the critical success of the earlier remix collection Disco (1986), however Disco 2 is one of the Pet Shop Boys' most poorly received albums by critics and fans. The tracks on the CD were mixed into one long continuous megamix by DJ Danny Rampling. As a result, most of the tracks are in edited versions, having been cut off mid-way through in a crossfade into the following tracks (as a DJ might do while mixing music live). Some of the tracks were reduced by more than half of their original lengths in this way. In addition, some tracks were sped up or slowed down, in order to match the overall tempo of the mix.
Originally, Pet Shop Boys planned to release an expanded version of the 1993 limited album Relentless mixed with their favourite remixes and they got Danny Rampling to try a megamix of Relentless tracks and remixes, but they were not happy with the results.
A limited edition of the album was released in the United States which contained a second CD with B-sides and additional mixes.
- "Absolutely Fabulous" (Rollo Our Tribe Tongue-In Cheek Mix) – 0:29
- "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing" (Beatmasters Extended Nude Mix) – 4:15
- "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing" (DJ Pierre Wild Pitch Mix) – 2:59
- "Go West" (Heller & Farley Project Mix) – 3:40
- "Liberation" (E Smoove 12" Mix) – 6:09
- "So Hard" (Morales Red Zone Mix) – 2:48
- "Can You Forgive Her?" (Rollo Dub) – 4:03
- "Yesterday, When I Was Mad" (Junior Vasquez Fabulous Dub) – 4:54
- "Absolutely Fabulous" (Rollo Our Tribe Tongue-In Cheek Mix) – 6:01
- "Yesterday, When I Was Mad" (Coconut 1 12" Mix) – 2:12
- "Yesterday, When I Was Mad" (Jam & Spoon Mix) – 5:01
- "We All Feel Better in the Dark" (Brothers in Rhythm After Hours Climax Mix) – 5:21 *Mislabeled. This is actually the Ambient Mix
US limited edition bonus CDEdit
|United States (RIAA)||N/A||131,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Pet Shop Boys: Disco 2" at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Christgau, Robert. "Pet Shop Boys". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Pet Shop Boys discography". Retrieved 1 October 2007.
- "Pet Shop Boys - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Pet Shop Boys Disco 2 Chart History". Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Ask Billboard". Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "American album certifications – Pet Shop Boys – Disco 2". Recording Industry Association of America. 1 September 1996. Retrieved 14 January 2017. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.