Diadora is an Italian sportswear and footwear manufacturing company based in Caerano di San Marco (Veneto), subsidiary of Geox, founded in 1948. Diadora produces football boots and athletic shoes, as well as a range of apparel that includes t-shirts, polo shirts, hoodies, jackets, leggings, shorts, and compression garments. Diadora also commercialises football balls in the US market.
Origins and developmentEdit
Diadora was founded in 1948 by Marcello Danieli, who first began working in the trade as a young boy. He called his company "Diadora" a name suggested by a friend. The word comes from the name given by the Greeks of Byzantium to the Dalmatian town of Zadar. Originally called "de ladera" or "from Zadar," it was mistakenly copied and translated from Dalmatian to Latin, becoming, along the way "Diadora." Danieli, helped by his wife, managed to successfully launch his first product, mountain climbing boots.
The mid-1970s also marked Diadora's entry into the football category, aided by Roberto Bettega, who provided consulting information. The company also added the tennis market signing endorsement agreements with Björn Borg.
AC Milan striker Marco van Basten became the face of the company in the late 1980s, and launched his own personalized football boots, the San Siro Van Basten. Other high-profile football players under Diadora sponsorship have included George Weah, Roberto Baggio, Giuseppe Signori, Francesco Totti, Roy Keane and Antonio Cassano.
In 2008, Diadora SpA signed a joint venture with Win Hanverky Holdings Limited, forming a new company called "Winor International Company Limited" that operates the trademark "Diadora" in China, Hong Kong, and Macau to manufacture, design, promote, distribute, and sell products bearing the brand in those countries.
Since then, Diadora has sponsored several football clubs to provide them team uniforms, such as Norwegian Eliteserien clubs, Viking FK, FK Bodo/Glimt, and I-League side Rangdajied United. In this last season 2021/2022 Diadora Launched in Canada and sponsoring Dynamo de Candiac Club. From the 2022–2023 season, Diadora become the new technical supplier of Giresunspor at the Süper Lig, and also Mağusa Türk Gücü in Northern Cyprus KTFF Süper Lig. Even from the same season Diadora will be present on the Danish 1st Division like supplier of Helsingør and Vendsyssel at the NordicBet Liga. At March 2022 the n. 10 WTA Italian player Martina Trevisan has become new brand Ambassador.
- Balls on Diadora Soccer, 15 August 2020
- Empresa on Diadora website (in Spanish)
- "The history of Diadora". Football Shirt Culture. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- "History". Diadora America. Archived from the original on 4 July 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2008.
- "1980s Diadora San Siro Van Basten". Football Collectors Items.com. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Win Hanverky Forms Joint Venture Asserts Ownership of DIADORA Brand in the PRC, Hong Kong and Macau Market" (PDF) (Press release). Win Hanverky. 7 April 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2008.
- Pagano, Margareta (21 June 2009). "Geox billionaire steps into Diadora". The Independent. London. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Rangdajied United profile Facebook.com. Retrieved 30 June 2021