Dhimitër Anagnosti (born 23 January 1936) is an Albanian film director of the 20th century. He was a member of the Parliament of Albania in the 1990s and a Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports. For his contribution in film, he received the People's Artist of Albania medal. In 2011, former president Bamir Topi accredited him the "Honor of the Nation" order, Albanian: Urdhri "Nderi i Kombit".
January 23, 1936
Vuno, Himara municipality, District of Vlorë, Albania
Anagnosti was born on January 23, 1936, in Vuno, a village in the Himara municipality, District of Vlorë Albania. After graduating the Ali Demi high school in Vlorë, he pursued his studies and graduated as a film director in Gerasimov Institute of Cinematography of Moscow.
In 1961, along with Viktor Gjika, Anagnosti directed the film, Njeriu kurrë nuk vdes (English: The Man Never Dies), using as a script a short story from American writer, Ernest Hemingway. The work earned him First Prize in the World's Festival of Cinematographic Schools, in the Netherlands.
He started to work as a cineast within Kinostudio Shqipëria e Re in 1961, with the film, Debatik in 1961 and subsequently with the film Toka jonë (English: Our Land) in 1964. He is also the writer of the first Albanian color documentary, Gurët dekorativë (English: Decorative stones). In 1966 Anagnosti co-directed, with Viktor Gjika, Komisari i dritës (English: The Commissary of the Light), and a year later he directed Duel i heshtur (English: Silent Duel).
Overall he has directed 14 films and 10 documentaries, and has won many national and international prizes. He is also the screenwriter of most of the films he directs.
For his extraordinary performance of some of the best Albanian films, he has been given the title Merited Artist of Albania, and in 1987, People's Artist of Albania. During the communist rule of Albania, however, many of his works were censored. He won the Cup to the Carrier in the Ninth Festival of the Albanian Film.
Between 1991-1996, Anagnosti was involved in politics. He was elected Member of the Albanian Parliament as a deputy of the Democratic Party of Albania. On April 12, 1992, he took over the post of Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports. He resigned on December 4, 1994. The reasons for his resignation were that Sali Berisha, then President of Albania, had not recognized the negative result of a popular referendum for a new constitution as his own political failure, and had not resigned himself.
Return to artEdit
After leaving politics, Anagnosti created the Foundation for Art and Culture, endorsing the most active artists and contributing to the enhancement of Albanian culture and its international exposure. Among other things, this foundation has enabled the publication of 160 books.
In 2001 Anagnosti returned to his directing skills after many years of absence. For the National Theater of Albania, he directed the stage drama, "Nata e trokitjeve në xham" (English: Night of the Knocks on the Window). In 2005 he also directed a film, Gjoleka, djali i Abazit (English: Father and Godfather): The film won two international prizes in Italy.
He is married to the Albanian actress Roza Anagnosti (Xhuxha), a Merited Artist of Albania.
The following is a list of films directed by Anagnosti.
- Gjoleka i biri i Abazit (2006) (English: Father and Godfather)
- Kthimi i ushtrisë së vdekur (1989) (English: The Return of the Dead Army)
- Përralle Nga e Kaluara (1987) (English: A Tale from the Past)
- Gurët e shtëpisë sime (1985) (English: Stones of my House)
- Kujtime nga Gjirokastra (1983) (English: Memories from Gjirokaster)
- Vëllezër dhe shokë (1982) (English: Brothers and Comrades)
- Në shtepinë tonë (1979) (English: In our Home)
- Monumenti (film)|Monumenti (1977) (English: The Monument)
- Lulëkuqet mbi mure (1976) (English: Poppies on Walls)
- Kur hiqen maskat (1975) (English: When Masks are Taken Off)
- Cuca e maleve (1974) (English: The Girl of the Mountains)
- Përjetësi (1974) (English: Eternity)
- Motive nga dita e diel (1973) (English: Motives from a Sunday)
- Malet me blerim mbuluar (1971) (English: Mountains of Green Filled)
- Parafabrikatet (1970) (English: Parafabrics)
- Plagë të vjetra (1968) (English: Old Wounds)
- Duel i heshtur (1967) (English: Silent Duel)
- Komisari i dritës (1966) (English: Commissary of the Light)
- Njeriu kurrë nuk vdes (1961) (English: The Man Never Dies)
- ^ a b c d "Dhimiter Anagnosti". Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- ^ Sejko, Roland (26 January 2009). "Dhimitër Anagnosti, the cinema as a conscience". L'Albanese d'Italia (in Albanian). Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^ Bamir Topi, Dhmimiter Anagnosti. Dhimiter Anagnosti, "Nderi i Kombit" - Vizion Plus - News - Lajme [Dhimiter Anagnosti, "Honor of the Nation" - Vizion Plus - News] (YouTube) (in Albanian). Vizion+ TV. Archived from the original on 2021-12-15. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- ^ PEÇI, Admirina, Tirana në vitet '14 - '80 Shfaqen filmimet e rralla [Tirana in the years '14-'80, the rare registrations are shown] (in Albanian), Shqiptarja.com, archived from the original on 2014-10-23, retrieved October 9, 2013,
Regjisori i shquar Dhimitër Anagnosti "Nder i Kombit" ka në karrierën e tij shumë pak filma dokumentarë... [The distinguished director Dhimiter Anagnosti, Honor of the Nation, has a few documentary films in his career...]
- ^ a b c "Dhimiter ANAGNOSTI, Awards & Prizes". Albania Art Institute. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^ Biberaj, Elez (1999). Albania in Transition: The Rocky Road to Democracy. Westview Press. p. 177. ISBN 0-8133-3688-0. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- ^ Vickers, Miranda; Pettifer, James (March 2000). Albania: from anarchy to a Balkan identity. p. 262. ISBN 0-8147-8805-X. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- ^ "Fan Noli Foundation" (in English and Albanian). Archived from the original on 29 April 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- ^ "Father and Godfather". Retrieved 15 July 2010.