This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Destruction is a German thrash metal band, formed in 1982. They are often credited as one of the "Big Four" of the German thrash metal scene, the others being Kreator, Sodom and Tankard. In addition to helping pioneer black metal by containing several elements of what was to become the genre, Destruction was part of the second wave of thrash metal in the late 1980s, along with American bands Testament, Sacred Reich, Death Angel and Dark Angel. For most of the 1990s, the band was not signed to a record label and was forced to self-produce their albums until they signed a contract with Nuclear Blast in the early 2000s.
Destruction and guests at I Othe Wacken Festival in 2007
|Also known as||Knight of Demon (1982–1984)|
|Origin||Weil am Rhein, Germany|
Inspired by Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Motörhead and Venom, Destruction were formed as Knight of Demon in 1982. The original line-up featured guitarist Mike Sifringer, vocalist and bassist Schmier, and drummer Tommy Sandmann. They soon changed their name to Destruction and released a demo titled Bestial Invasion of Hell in 1984. After this the group signed with Steamhammer Records and released an EP titled Sentence of Death later that year.
Destruction released their first full-length album titled Infernal Overkill in 1985, followed by Eternal Devastation in 1986. The trio then added a second guitarist, Harry Wilkens, and released the EP Mad Butcher (1987), the full-length album Release from Agony in 1988, then a live recording Live Without Sense in 1989, and Cracked Brain in 1990.
In 1989, during the initial recording sessions of Cracked Brain, Schmier was fired from the band, and was replaced by Poltergeist frontman André Grieder. Mike Sifringer continued to release albums under the moniker of "Neo-Destruction". In 1999, Schmier rejoined, and things began to look up for the band as they signed a record deal with Nuclear Blast. They then released three more albums: All Hell Breaks Loose in 2000, The Antichrist in 2001, and Metal Discharge in 2003. The band would then sign with AFM Records and release Inventor of Evil in 2005. That album was followed two years later by the compilation of re-recorded songs Thrash Anthems (2007), and then a year later by D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. (2008). In February 2011, Destruction released Day of Reckoning.
A European tour with Overkill was scheduled for March 2011. Headlining dates in South America and North America were being planned for April and May.
Through an exclusive PledgeMusic campaign, Destruction recorded a sequel to Thrash Anthems titled Thrash Anthems II. Like its predecessor, this album is a compilation of more re-recordings of classic songs by the band. The band released a full download of the album through PledgeMusic for free to accompany all purchases of the physical copies of the album on July 18, 2017. The exclusive CDs/Vinyls were shipped in August 2017 and once sold out, Nuclear Blast will release a more widely available version at the end of the year.
On January 23, 2018, it was announced that Vaaver had left Destruction "for family reasons", according to Schmier. He took time off in 2015 to be with his family following the birth of his second child. Drummer Randy Black would temporarily replace him until the band finds a "worthy successor". He was later announced as the band's new drummer. On February 28, 2019, it was announced that Swiss guitar player Damir Eskic had joined the band. This new lineup recorded Destruction's fifteenth studio album Born to Perish, which was released on August 9, 2019.
- Mike Sifringer – lead guitar/rhythm guitar (1982–present)
- Schmier – bass, lead vocals (1982–1989, 1999–present)
- Randy Black – drums (2018–present)
- Damir Eskic – lead guitar/rhythm guitar, backing vocals (2019–present)
- Ulf – vocals (1982–1984)
- Tommy Sandmann – drums (1982–1987)
- Harry Wilkens – lead guitar (1987–1990)
- André Grieder – vocals (1989–1990)
- Oliver "Olly" Kaiser – drums (1987–1999)
- Thomas Rosenmerkel – vocals (1993–1999)
- Michael "Ano" Piranio – lead guitar (1993–1999)
- Christian Engler – bass (1993–1999)
- Sven Vormann – drums (1999–2001)
- Marc Reign – drums, backing vocals (2001–2010)
- Wawrzyniec "Vaaver" Dramowicz – drums, backing vocals (2010–2018)
- Infernal Overkill (1985)
- Eternal Devastation (1986)
- Release from Agony (1988)
- Cracked Brain (1990)
- The Least Successful Human Cannonball (1998)
- All Hell Breaks Loose (2000)
- The Antichrist (2001)
- Metal Discharge (2003)
- Inventor of Evil (2005)
- D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. (2008)
- Day of Reckoning (2011)
- Spiritual Genocide (2012)
- Under Attack (2016)
- Born to Perish (2019)
- Lahdenpera, Eda (1995). "Northern Black Metal Legends". Kill Yourself!!! (4): 44. Archived from the original on February 7, 2012. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "Sacred Reich announces "30 Years of Ignorance" USA tour with Byzantine as support". metalblade.com. May 1, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "DESTRUCTION - Cracked Brain LP". hrrecords.de. Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- "Destruction – 'Spiritual Genocide' Out Now!". Nuclearblast.de. September 23, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "DESTRUCTION To Release 'Under Attack' Album In May". bravewords.com. January 15, 2016. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "DESTRUCTION Parts Ways With Drummer WAWRZYNIEC 'VAAVER' DRAMOWICZ". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- "DESTRUCTION Drummer VAAVER Explains His Decision To Leave". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- "DESTRUCTION Officially Welcomes New Drummer RANDY BLACK". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- Destruction (February 28, 2019). "YES WE ARE A FOUR PIECE AGAIN!…". twitter.com. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- "DESTRUCTION Recruits Second Guitarist DAMIR ESKIC". Blabbermouth.net. February 28, 2019. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "DESTRUCTION To Release 'Born To Perish' Album In August". Blabbermouth.net. April 25, 2019. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Destruction - Born To Perish". Grimmgent.com. September 12, 2019. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "destruction.de > News > Sven leaves the Band!". www.destruction.de. October 26, 2001. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "destruction.de > News > New Drummer found!!!". www.destruction.de. October 26, 2001. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "destruction.de > News > Destruction and drummer Marc will go separate way in the future!". www.destruction.de. March 9, 2010. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "destruction.de > News > New drummer officially announced!". www.destruction.de. November 22, 2010. Retrieved December 25, 2014.