This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)
Sacred Reich is an American thrash metal band based in Phoenix, Arizona, that was formed in 1985. The band split in 2000, but reunited in 2006. Sacred Reich has been credited, along with Testament, Destruction, Death Angel and Dark Angel, for leading the second wave of thrash metal in the late 1980s.
|Origin||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Years active||1985–2000, 2006–present|
After several albums on Metal Blade Records, Sacred Reich signed to Hollywood Records for a short stint, but later returned to Metal Blade to continue their musical career. After breaking up in 2000, the band announced in November 2006 they would play several shows in the summer of 2007 in Europe, including Wacken Open Air.
Throughout its 36-year career (with the exception of a hiatus from 2000 to 2006), Sacred Reich has performed live globally, including playing at clubs, theaters, arenas and festivals. They have performed alongside numerous acts such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, Motörhead, Sepultura, Pantera, Exodus, Testament, Anthrax, Flotsam and Jetsam, Dark Angel, Accept, Napalm Death, Obituary, D.R.I, Vio-lence, Forbidden, Holy Moses, Forced Entry, Gwar, Suicidal Tendencies, Iron Reagan, Overkill, Kreator, Destruction, Corrosion of Conformity, Queensrÿche, King Diamond, Municipal Waste, the Cro-Mags, Sick of It All, Excel, Atrophy, Heathen, Armored Saint, Nuclear Assault, the Crumbsuckers, M.O.D., Agnostic Front, Death Angel, Onslaught, Xentrix, Coroner, Danzig, Crowbar, Viking, Evildead, Savatage, Trouble, Cathedral and Omen.
The band also contributed the Black Sabbath cover "Sweet Leaf" to the Hempilation: Freedom Is NORML compilation album to benefit NORML, and the Subhumans cover "The Big Picture" appears as the B-side of the "Open Book" promotional single. A three disk boxed set with remastered versions of Ignorance and Surf Nicaragua with additional bonus material, including the "Draining You of Life" demo tape and a live DVD, was released in Europe only in the summer of 2007 by Metal Blade Records. In the spring of 2017, the band announced their first North American tour in 21 years.
In January 2018, Sacred Reich signed to Metal Blade Records and began working on their fifth studio album, Awakening, which was released on August 23, 2019. It is the band's first full-length studio album since 1996's Heal, and their first since drummer Dave McClain and guitarist Joey Radziwill replaced founding members Greg Hall and Jason Rainey respectively.
Founding member and former guitarist Jason Rainey died on March 16, 2020, at the age of 53 from an apparent heart attack.
As of September 2020, Sacred Reich has been working on their sixth studio album.
- Draining You of Life (demo) (1986)
- Surf Nicaragua (1988)
- A Question (1991)
- Live albums
- Alive at the Dynamo (1989)
- Still Ignorant (1997)
- Live at Wacken (2012)
- "Album Review: Sacred Reich – Awakening". New Noise Magazine. August 20, 2019. Retrieved June 2, 2021.
- Colin Larkin, ed. (1995). The Guinness Who's Who of Heavy Metal (Second ed.). Guinness Publishing. p. 307. ISBN 0-85112-656-1.
- "Sacred Reich announces "30 Years of Ignorance" USA tour with Byzantine as support". Metalblade.com. May 1, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "Sacred Reich Interview". lordsofmetal.nl. July–August 2007. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- Pryor, Terrance. "Sacred Reich celebrate 30 years of 'Ignorance' with Byzantine this fall". Axs.com. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "SACRED REICH Signs With METAL BLADE; First Album in More Than Two Decades Due Next Year". Blabbermouth.net. January 24, 2018. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- "SACRED REICH To Release 'Awakening' Album In The Summer". Blabbermouth.net. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Sacred Reich To Release New Album "Awakening" In August, Debut Video For Title Track". Theprp.com. June 18, 2019. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- "SACRED REICH Rejoined By Ex-MACHINE HEAD Drummer DAVE MCCLAIN". Blabbermouth.net. December 18, 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "SACRED REICH Parts Ways With Guitarist JASON RAINEY, Announces Replacement". Blabbermouth.net. February 25, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Former SACRED REICH Guitarist JASON RAINEY Dies Of Apparent Heart Attack". Blabbermouth.net. March 17, 2020. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- "Sacred Reich - Working On New Material". metalstorm.net. September 6, 2020. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sacred Reich.|