Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" is a song by American hip hop duo Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz, released in December 1997, as the lead single from their debut album, Make It Reign. The song, produced by KNS, was a huge success, being a hit in both the United States and Canada, peaking at #9 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and #6 on the Canadian Singles Chart. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA on March 31, 1998 for sales of a million copies. However, the duo's success would be short-lived, as they broke up in 1999 without releasing a follow-up album or single.
|"Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)"|
|Single by Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz|
|from the album Make It Reign|
|Released||December 9, 1997|
|Genre||East Coast hip hop, g-funk|
|Length||4:46 (Clean Radio Edit 3:29)|
|Songwriter(s)||Walter Becker, Donald Fagen|
The song is built around a sample of Steely Dan's "Black Cow". In exchange for clearing use of the sample, Steely Dan requested an advance payment of $115,000 as well as 100% of publishing royalties, and as a result of this agreement, Steely Dan members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen are the sole credited songwriters on "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)". The song opens with a sample from "Amores Como El Nuestro" by Jerry Rivera (which was also sampled by Shakira for her song "Hips Don't Lie").
Three remixes were made for the song. The Frankenstein remix produced by Frank "Frankenstein" Fallico, the Pro Black remix produced by Ayatollah and a Bad Boy remix that was made by Mase, The LOX and Puff Daddy.
The song "Daydreamin'" by Tatyana Ali released later in 1998 used the same "Black Cow" sample and featured both Tariq and Gunz. Gunz even mentions hearing "Black Cow" and being inspired to rap to the beat.
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Album Version) – 4:44
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Instrumental) – 4:43
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Acapella) – 4:29
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Frankenstein Remix) – 4:40
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Frankenstein Remix Instrumental) – 4:42
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Pro Black Remix) – 4:32
- "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" (Pro Black Remix Instrumental) – 4:29
Charts and certificationsEdit
- Ascap entry for song
- VladTV (April 3, 2015). "Peter Gunz on Giving Up 100% Publishing: We Got Stuck-Up!". YouTube. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- "Charts.nz – Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz – Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1998". Archived from the original on 2009-03-09. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- "American single certifications – Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz – Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Best-Selling Records of 1998". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 111 (5): 75. January 30, 1999. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 31, 2015.