Deidra & Laney Rob a Train
Deidra & Laney Rob a Train is an American comedy drama crime film directed by Sydney Freeland, from a screenplay by Shelby Farrell. It stars Ashleigh Murray, Rachel Crow, Tim Blake Nelson, David Sullivan, Danielle Nicolet and Sasheer Zamata.
|Deidra & Laney Rob a Train|
Digital release poster
|Directed by||Sydney Freeland|
|Written by||Shelby Farrell|
|Music by||Mark Orton|
|Edited by||Michael Taylor|
Deidra & Laney's mother Marigold is taken to jail, and they are left to support themselves. To keep her sister Laney and younger brother Jet from being placed in foster care, Deidra makes a plan to rob trains. They need enough money to help pay their mother's bills and bail her out of jail. Along the way, they rekindle old relationships and find out who is real and to be trusted amongst their family and friends.
- Ashleigh Murray as Deidra, the older sister
- Rachel Crow as Laney, the younger sister
- Tim Blake Nelson as Truman, the Pacific Western detective
- David Sullivan as Chet, the father
- Danielle Nicolet as Marigold, the mother
- Sasheer Zamata as Ms. Spencer, the high school guidance counselor
- Missi Pyle as Mrs. Fowler
- Sharon Lawrence as Veronica
- Arturo Castro as McMillian, the local police officer
- Lance Gray as Jet, the little brother
- Brooke Markham as Claire, Laney's high school friend
- Kinna McInroe as Gloria, the child social services worker
In June 2016, it was announced Ashleigh Murray, Rachel Crow, David Sullivan, Tim Blake Nelson, Danielle Nicolet, Sasheer Zamata and Arturo Castro had been cast in the film, with Sydney Freeland directing from a screenplay by Shelby Farrell, while Susan Cartsonis and Nick Moceri will produce the film, alongside Netflix who will finance and distribute the film.
Principal photography began in July 2016, in Utah in places like Ogden and Salt Lake City. Many of the railroad scenes were filmed in Heber City at the Heber Valley Railroad and all of the scenes at a school and prison were filmed at Judge Memorial Catholic High School.
Deidra and Laney Rob a Train received positive reviews from film critics. It currently holds a 91% approval rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, based on 22 reviews, with an average rating of 6.5/10.
- Evans, Greg (June 22, 2016). "Netflix Original Movie 'Deidra & Laney Rob A Train' On Track With Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Jackson, Melissa (June 9, 2016). "Press Release: June 9, 2016". Utah Film Commission. Archived from the original on January 18, 2017. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Patten, Dominic (December 5, 2016). "Sundance 2017: Robert Redford, New Rashida Jones Netflix Series, 'Rebel In The Rye' & More On Premiere, Docu, Midnight & Kids Slates". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Deidra & Laney Rob a Train". Sundance Film Festival. The Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Netflix (May 12, 2016). "Netflix Announces Slate of Original Films, Documentaries and Series at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Deidra & Laney Rob a Train (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 16, 2018.