Deborah Snyder (née Johnson, born March 13, 1963) is an American producer of feature films and television commercials. She is married to filmmaker Zack Snyder, and has worked as his frequent producing partner on films such as Watchmen and 300. She is the co-founder of the production company The Stone Quarry.
March 13, 1963
Deborah Snyder is married to filmmaker Zack Snyder. The couple first met in 1996, and married on September 25, 2004 at the St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Manhattan, New York. They currently reside in Pasadena, California. They have adopted two children together, and Snyder is the stepmother to six children from his previous relationships.
Prior to her career as a film producer, Snyder worked at the New York advertising agency Backer Spielvogel Bates. In 1996, she hired Zack Snyder to direct a commercial for Reebok, hoping to create a commercial with a cinematic feel. At the time, she was dating the art director of the commercial, while Zack Snyder was married. In 1997, Snyder served as producer for the television documentary Talk to Me: Americans in Conversation. In 2002, she hired Zack Snyder to direct a commercial for Soft and Dry deodorant in New Zealand. The couple began dating at the end of filming. In 2004, the couple became the co-founders of Cruel and Unusual Films alongside their producing partner Wesley Coller.
In 2007, Snyder served as an executive producer for Zack Snyder's 2007 film 300, an adaptation of Frank Miller's same-titled graphic novel. She also produced the 2009 film adaptation of the graphic novel Watchmen. Snyder has currently served as an executive producer for the 2010 computer-animated film Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, which is based on Guardians of Ga'Hoole, a series of children's fantasy books by Kathryn Lasky. The film was released in September 2010. Snyder next produced Sucker Punch, which was co-written, co-produced, and directed by her husband. The film was the first to credit their company Cruel and Unusual Films as a co-producer. Sucker Punch was released theatrically on March 25, 2011.
Snyder produced, alongside Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas, the Superman reboot Man of Steel, which Zack Snyder directed. She will also produce a remake of the 1969 film The Illustrated Man with Zack Snyder attached as a director; she will also produce Horse Latitudes, which was formerly known as The Last Photograph and The Fountainhead, a film about a photograph that inspires two men to travel to South America and a novel adaptation from Ayn Rand, respectively.
On January 29, 2019, Zack Snyder announced that he had signed on to helm Army of the Dead, a zombie horror thriller, for Netflix. Snyder co-produced with her husband, Zack Snyder and producing partner, Wesley Coller, via their newly rebranded production company, Stone Quarry.
- "Facts about Deborah Snyder- American film & Commercial Producer". ALL STAR BIO. January 2, 2020. Retrieved February 23, 2020.
- Louie, Elaine (October 3, 2004). "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS: VOWS; Deborah Johnson and Zack Snyder - New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- Frank Lovece (February 19, 2009). "CGI: 'Watchmen'--Zack Snyder brings superhero saga to the finish line". Film Journal International. Archived from the original on May 3, 2009. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Zack and Deborah Snyder on the 'Cathartic Journey' of Releasing Their Justice League Cut After Daughter's Death". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved May 23, 2021.
- Louie, Elaine (February 18, 2011). "Off Screen, a Long-Running Romance". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 23, 2021.
- "Have Camera, Will Travel - IC View - Ithaca College". www.ithaca.edu. Retrieved May 22, 2017.
- "Watchmen Movie Crew - WatchmenComicMovie.com". WatchmenComicMovie.com. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- "Behind the Scenes Clip-Featurette LEGENDS OF THE ]". Collider.com. Collider.com. August 28, 2007. Archived from the original on June 28, 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Zack Snyder to Direct Illustrated Man - ComingSoon.net". ComingSoon.net. June 9, 2010. Retrieved July 26, 2010.
- Brown, Todd (August 2, 2011). "BREAKING: Zack Snyder Taking Director's Chair On THE LAST PHOTOGRAPH". Screen Anarchy. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- Watercutter, Angela (September 19, 2017). "What's Zack Snyder been doing since he left Justice League? Making an iPhone film". Wired. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- "Zack Snyder Returning to Movies With Zombie Action Pic 'Army of the Dead' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. January 29, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2019.