This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Zachary Edward Snyder (born March 1, 1966) is an American filmmaker, best known for his action, superhero, and science fiction films. Snyder made his feature film debut with the 2004 remake of the horror film Dawn of the Dead. Since then, he has done a number of comic book and superhero films, including 300 (2006) and Watchmen (2009), as well as the Superman film that started the DC Extended Universe, Man of Steel (2013) and its follow-ups, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017). He served as co-screenwriter for 300, Sucker Punch and 300: Rise of an Empire and served as co-story writer for Wonder Woman and Justice League.
|Born||Zachary Edward Snyder
March 1, 1966
Green Bay, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Residence||Pasadena, California, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Denise Weber (divorced)
Deborah Snyder (m. 2004)
Snyder was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and raised in Riverside, Connecticut. His mother, Marsha Manley (née Reeves), was a painter and a photography teacher at Daycroft School, which Snyder later attended. His father, Charles Edward "Ed" Snyder, worked as an executive recruiter. He has an elder sister, Audrey (Davis), and was raised as a Christian Scientist. Snyder attended Camp Owatonna in Harrison, Maine, during the summer months as a child. Snyder's mother inspired him to study painting a year after high school at Heatherley School of Fine Art in England, although he had already begun filmmaking. Afterward, Snyder attended Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.
Snyder went on to shoot,[when?] as a director and as a cinematographer, television commercials for such clients as the automobile companies Audi, BMW, Subaru and Nissan, amongst others. Other commercial work has been for clients including Nike, Reebok, and Gatorade.
Snyder made his feature film debut with the remake of the horror film Dawn of the Dead (2004), and scored a box office hit with the fantasy war film 300 (2006), adapted from writer-artist Frank Miller's Dark Horse Comics miniseries of the same name. His Warner Bros. film Watchmen was released on March 6, 2009 and grossed $185 million worldwide. His follow-up project/animation debut titled Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was released on September 24, 2010. Snyder produced, co-wrote, and directed Sucker Punch, which was released on March 25, 2011. The film, based on a script written by Snyder and Steve Shibuya, was about a young woman in a mental hospital who fantasizes of escape with her fellow inmates.
He directed 2013's Man of Steel for Warner Bros., a reboot of the Superman franchise. He will direct a yet-to-be-produced remake of the 1969 film The Illustrated Man, and produced the prequel/sequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire (2014). He also wants to direct a segment for an upcoming Heavy Metal 3, and plans to write and direct a sequel to Legend of the Guardians.
During Comic Con 2013, Snyder announced that Batman and Superman would share the screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, released in 2016. Cavill reprised his role as Superman, and Ben Affleck played Batman. In April 2014, Snyder was announced by Warner Bros. to direct the Justice League film after finishing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. As of March 2016, Snyder is working on The Last Photograph, a drama about a war photographer in Afghanistan. He is also working on an adaptation of the 1943 novel The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.
Snyder often uses slow motion in and out of the fight scenes in his films, which Amy Nicholson of BoxOffice magazine remarked separates the director from other filmmakers who make multiple cuts and close-ups during a fight. A minute-long shot from 300 shows King Leonidas slaughtering his enemies, the camera zooming in and out to emphasize each kill and move Leonidas makes.
Snyder lives in Pasadena with his second wife, producer Deborah Johnson. The couple first met in 1996, started dating in 2002, and married on September 25, 2004 at the St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Manhattan, New York.
Snyder has eight children. The four eldest, Olivia, Willow, Autumn, and Eli, are from his first marriage to Denise Weber. Willow and Autumn were adopted from China. Two younger sons, Ezekiel and Jett Elin, are from his relationship with Kirsten Elin, who was his line producer on commercials for a while. Snyder and his current wife Deborah adopted two children during the course of making Man of Steel.
On March 20, 2017, Snyder's daughter, Autumn, committed suicide, causing him to step away from post-production work on Justice League in May 2017 to be with his family. Joss Whedon was brought in to finish reshoots as well as oversee the remainder of the film's post-production.
|2004||Dawn of the Dead||Yes||No||No||Directorial debut|
|2006||300||Yes||No||Yes||Co-screenwriter with Kurt Johnstad and Michael B. Gordon|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Yes||No||No|
|2011||Sucker Punch||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-screenwriter with Steve Shibuya|
|2013||Man of Steel||Yes||No||No|
|2014||300: Rise of an Empire||No||Yes||Yes||Co-screenwriter with Kurt Johnstad|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Yes||No||No|
|2017||Wonder Woman||No||Yes||Story||Story co-written with Allan Heinberg and Jason Fuchs|
|Snow Steam Iron||Yes||Yes||Story||Short film|
|Justice League||Yes||No||Story||Story co-written with Chris Terrio|
|1992||"You're So Close"||Peter Murphy|
|"Somebody to Shove"||Soul Asylum|
|1993||"Black Gold"||Soul Asylum|
|"In the Middle"||Alexander O'Neal|
|1994||"I Know"||Dionne Farris|
|2009||"Desolation Row"||My Chemical Romance|
|Actors||Dawn of the Dead
|Legend of the Guardians:
The Owls of Ga'Hoole
|Man of Steel
|Batman v Superman:
Dawn of Justice
|Jeffrey Dean Morgan|
- Snyder's wife Deborah Snyder has produced all of his films dating back to 300 (executive producer on 300 and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole).
- Larry Fong and William Hoy were Snyder's cinematographer and film editor, respectively, on the films 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch. Fong is also the cinematographer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- John "D.J." Desjardin was the visual effects supervisor on Watchmen, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
- David Brenner served as film editor on Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)
Critical, public and commercial reception to films Zack Snyder has directed as of November 26, 2017:
|Year||Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|2004||Dawn of the Dead||75% (183 reviews)||59 (37 reviews)||B||$26 million||US$102.4 million|
|2007||300||60% (228 reviews)||52 (42 reviews)||A-||$65 million||$456.1 million|
|2009||Watchmen||65% (300 reviews)||56 (39 reviews)||B||$130 million||$185.3 million|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||50% (125 reviews)||53 (21 reviews)||A-||$80 million||$140.1 million|
|2011||Sucker Punch||23% (207 reviews)||33 (29 reviews)||B-||$82 million||$89.8 million|
|2013||Man of Steel||55% (306 reviews)||55 (47 reviews)||A-||$225 million||$668.0 million|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||27% (371 reviews)||44 (51 reviews)||B||$250 million||$873.3 million|
|2017||Justice League||41% (285 reviews)||46 (50 reviews)||B+||$300 million||$626 million|
Awards and nominationsEdit
Snyder's body of work has earned him a number of awards, including two Clio Awards and a Gold Lion Award for his Jeep "Frisbee" commercial. He also won an award for his humorous commercial "General's Party".
|2007||Golden Schmoes Award||Best Director of the Year||300||Nominated|
|Hollywood Film Award||Hollywood Movie of the Year||Won|
|2008||Saturn Award||Best Director||Won|
Shared with Michael B. Gordon & Kurt Johnstad
|2009||ShoWest Award||Director of the Year||Watchmen||Won|
|2010||Saturn Award||Best Director||Nominated|
|SFX Award||Best Director||Nominated|
|St. Louis Film Critics Association Award||Best Animated Feature Film||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Nominated|
|2013||Hollywood Film Award||Hollywood Movie of the Year||Man of Steel||Nominated|
|2014||Jupiter Award||Best International Film||Nominated|
|2017||Golden Raspberry Award||Worst Director||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Nominated|
|2017||Satellite Awards||Best Adapted Screenplay
Shared with Allan Heinberg & Jason Fuchs
- Off Screen, a Long-Running Romance New York Times, FEB. 18, 2011.
- "Fan makes a film". Berkshire Eagle, The. March 8, 2007.
- "Marsha Snyder Obituary - Pittsfield, MA | theberkshireeagle.com". Legacy.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "The North Adams Transcript from North Adams, Massachusetts · Page 15". Newspapers.com. 1958-05-05. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Zack Snyder: Watchmen". SuicideGirls.com. 5 March 2009. Retrieved March 5, 2009.
- "Updates on The Jetsons & Zack Snyder's The Illustrated Man - Comingsoon.net". October 4, 2010. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike (October 4, 2010). "SCOOP: Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman'". Deadline.com. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Zack Snyder Will Direct Superman/Batman Movie Inspired by Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns'".
- "Warner Bros. Plans 'Justice League' Movie Directed by Zack Snyder (Exclusive)". Wall Street Journey. April 26, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "BREAKING: Zack Snyder Taking Director's Chair On THE LAST PHOTOGRAPH". Screen Anarchy. August 2, 2011. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "'Batman v. Superman': Married Creative Duo on That R-Rated DVD, Plans for DC Superhero Universe". The Hollywood Reporter. March 17, 2016. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Nicholson, Amy (February 26, 2009). "Slow and Steady". Box Office Magazine. Archived from the original on March 3, 2009. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- Louie, Elaine (October 3, 2004). "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS: VOWS; Deborah Johnson and Zack Snyder - New York Times". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Frank Lovece (2009-02-19). "CGI: 'Watchmen'--Zack Snyder brings superhero saga to the finish line". Film Journal International. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- "Zack Snyder's Superhero Life". Bloomberg. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- Los Angeles Coroner Report Autumn Snyder
- Autumn Snyder November 12, 1996, China, March 12, 2017, Los Angeles, California
- Kit, Borys (May 22, 2017). "Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 22, 2017.
- Dawn of the Dead (Motion picture). United States. 2006. End credits.
- 300 (Motion picture). United States. 2006. End credits.
- Watchmen (Motion picture). United States. 2009. End credits.
- Sucker Punch (Motion picture). United States. 2011. End credits.
- Man of Steel (Motion picture). United States. 2013. End credits.
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Motion picture). United States. 2016. End credits.
- "Zack Snyder". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder's Profile". Metacritic. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Zack Snyder - Awards - IMDb". Retrieved June 13, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zack Snyder.|
- Cruel and Unusual Films – Snyder's production company
- Zack Snyder on Twitter
- Zack Snyder on Facebook
- Zack Snyder on Myspace
- Zack Snyder on IMDb
- Zack Snyder at the TCM Movie Database
- Zack Snyder at Believe Media
- Zack Snyder Biography at Tribute.ca
- Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman' at Deadline.com
- Zack Snyder directing Superman reboot at The Hollywood Reporter