Dean F. Bryson
Dean Frederick Bryson (September 27, 1910 – April 15, 1995) was an American attorney in the state of Oregon, United States. He was the 77th Associate Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court. Previously he was a circuit court judge for Multnomah County, Oregon, a legislator in the Oregon House of Representatives, served in the Oregon Senate, and was president of the state bar association.
Dean Frederick Bryson
|77th Associate Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court|
|Appointed by||Tom McCall|
|Preceded by||Gordon Sloan|
|Succeeded by||Edwin J. Peterson|
|Member of the Oregon Senate|
|Member of the Oregon House of Representatives|
|Born||September 27, 1910|
|Died||April 15, 1995 (aged 84)|
He was later a member of the State Marine Board and National Labor Relations Board. In 1959, Bryson began serving on the Oregon State Bar Association’s Board of Governors, continuing through 1961. That year, he was also the organization’s president.
Bryson was elected to the Oregon House of Representatives as a Republican and served from 1943 to 1945. From 1953 to 1955 he served in the Oregon State Senate. In 1961, Governor Mark Hatfield appointed him to the Multnomah County Circuit Court. There he served for nine years and was elected as the presiding judge of the court in 1968. As a judge on that court, he made news for issuing a restraining order to protect a Navy recruiter working at Portland State University from 36 students in 1970 during the Vietnam War.
On October 23, 1970, Bryson was appointed to the Oregon Supreme Court by Oregon Governor Tom McCall to replace Gordon Sloan who had resigned. Earlier in the year, Bryson defeated Sloan in his re-election bid. Bryson won re-election to a second six-year term in 1976; however, he resigned before the end of that term on April 1, 1979.
Later life and familyEdit
- California Death Index
- Former justice Bryson dies at 84. The Oregonian, April 19, 1995.
- Past Presidents. Oregon State Bar. Retrieved on January 25, 2008.
- Oregon State Archives: Governor's Records Guides. Oregon Secretary of State. Retrieved on January 25, 2008.
- Oregon Blue Book: Supreme Court Justices of Oregon. Oregon Secretary of State. Retrieved on January 25, 2008.
- The 1970 Elections in the West, The 1970 Election in Oregon, L. Harmon Zeigler; Barbara Leigh Smith, The Western Political Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 2. (Jun., 1971), pp. 325-338.