Dawuane "D.J." Smoot (born March 2, 1995) is an American football defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Illinois.
|No. 94 – Jacksonville Jaguars|
|Born:||March 2, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||264 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Groveport Madison|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 3 / Pick: 68|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Smoot attended Groveport Madison High School in Groveport, Ohio. During his high school career, he had 260 tackles and 30 sacks. He committed to the University of Illinois to play college football.
Smoot played in seven games as a true freshman at Illinois in 2013, recording eight tackles and one sack. As a sophomore in 2014 he played in all 13 games and had 33 tackles and 2.5 sacks. As a junior in 2015 he started all 12 games, recording 40 tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles. On November 29, 2016, Smoot was named Third Team All-Big Ten by the coaches and media.
Smoot contemplated leaving Illinois after his junior season and received a second round grade for the 2016 NFL Draft from the NFL advisory board. He decided to stay for his senior year and was the 24th overall prospect on Todd McShay's big board heading into 2017. He received an invitation to the 2017 Senior Bowl and practiced well throughout the week. He played defensive end for the North, but was held without a tackle as the North were defeated 16-15 by the South. Smoot attended the NFL Combine and completed most of the combine and positional drills, but decided to not perform the bench press. He also participated at Illinois' Pro Day and chose to perform the bench and have another attempt at the vertical. NFL draft experts and analysts projected him to be selected in the third or fourth round. He was ranked the 15th best defensive end available in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|33 1⁄4 in
|9 1⁄4 in
|4.77 s||1.68 s||2.78 s||4.39 s||7.18 s||29 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 8 in
|All values from NFL Combine/Illinois' Pro Day|
Smoot was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the third round (68th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. Smoot made the Jaguars team and played in all 16 regular season games, as well as Jackonville's three playoff games.
- Smoot an 'underdog' unleashed
- Best of Illini: No. 15, Dawuane Smoot
- Tupper: Smoot aims to realize first-round potential under Lovie
- Illinois' Dawuane Smoot goes from under the radar onto NFL draft boards
- Dawuane Smoot hurdling toward stardom for Illinois defense
- "2016 Big Ten Individual Award Winners" (PDF). www.grfx.cstv.com. Big Ten Conference. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- Matt Miller (January 25, 2017). "Senior Bowl 2017: Matt Miller's Top 25 Prospects". bleacgerreport.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "Phillips, Smoot Impress at Senior Bowl Practices". fightingillini.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "Dawuane Smooth, DS #15 DE, Illinois". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Dawuane Smoot". NFL.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- Oehser, John (April 28, 2017). "No. 68 overall: Jaguars select DE Dawuane Smoot". Jaguars.com.