David Rodríguez Sánchez
|Full name||David Rodríguez Sánchez|
|Date of birth||14 February 1986|
|Place of birth||Talavera de la Reina, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2004–2007||Atlético Madrid B||68||(20)|
|2005||→ Ciudad Murcia (loan)||2||(0)|
|2006||→ Las Palmas (loan)||21||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ Celta (loan)||36||(8)|
|2012–2013||→ Sporting Gijón (loan)||37||(13)|
|2014||Brighton & Hove Albion||10||(1)|
|2019||→ Numancia (loan)||16||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 October 2019|
Rodríguez was born in Talavera de la Reina, Province of Toledo. After leaving Atlético Madrid's youth academy, he started professionally with Ciudad de Murcia in Segunda División. However, the lack of playing time for the Colchoneros' first team made him drop down to Segunda División B in January 2006, as he moved to UD Las Palmas.
In the 2006–07 season, Rodríguez returned to Atlético to play with its B-side and rank as their top scorer, a feat which he repeated the following campaign with UD Salamanca in the second level. Such solid performances earned him a transfer to La Liga, moving for €400.000 to UD Almería; before 2008–09 began, however, he was loaned to RC Celta de Vigo, returning in the following summer to Andalusia.
Rodríguez made his top flight debut on 30 August 2009, appearing in a 0–0 home draw against Real Valladolid. On 22 November, he scored after just five minutes on the pitch but Almería lost 1–3 at RCD Mallorca, and the player was only the fourth of fifth offensive option at the club during the season.
On 17 July 2010, after having been suspended by Almería, Rodríguez signed for Celta permanently, penning a four-year contract. In his first year in his second spell he netted a career-best 17 goals, leading the Galicians to the sixth position in the regular season and the subsequent promotion playoffs.
On 29 August 2012, after having contributed with nine goals in 28 matches to Celta's promotion, Rodríguez signed for second division side Sporting de Gijón. He scored his first goal for his new club on 9 September, netting the opener in a 1–1 home draw against CD Lugo.
On 30 January 2014, Rodríguez terminated his contract at Celta and completed a move to English club Brighton & Hove Albion the following day. He made his debut in the Championship two days later, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 0–2 loss at Watford.
Rodríguez netted his first hat-trick as a professional on 24 October 2015, in a 6–1 home demolition of UE Llagostera. On 30 June 2017, after scoring 52 overall goals for the Alfareros, he signed a three-year contract with fellow league team CA Osasuna, for € 350,000.
On 30 January 2019, Rodríguez was loaned to CD Numancia also of the second division until June. Upon returning to the El Sadar Stadium, he terminated his contract on 1 July, and agreed to a one-year deal with Racing de Santander on 20 August.
- "Delantero David Rodríguez ficha por Las Palmas" [Forward David Rodríguez signs for Las Palmas] (in Spanish). Nación. 5 December 2005. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "El Salamanca refuerza su delantera con David Rodríguez" [Salamanca bolster forward lines with David Rodríguez]. Marca (in Spanish). 25 June 2007. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Nieto, Luis (23 September 2008). ""Dos años en Primera sanearían al Salamanca"" ["Two years in Primera would clear Salamanca's debts"]. Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- Barreira, Borja (22 July 2008). "David Rodríguez jugará en el Celta" [David Rodríguez will play in Celta]. Atlántico Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "El Almería ha presentado hoy al delantero David Rodríguez: "Este es un reto y una gran oportunidad para mí que quiero aprovecharla"" [Almería have presented forward David Rodríguez today: "This is a challenge and a big chance for me and I want to seize it"] (in Spanish). Teleprensa. 17 July 2009. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Almeria 0–0 Valladolid". ESPN Soccernet. 30 August 2009. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Mallorca maintain run". ESPN Soccernet. 22 November 2009. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Ulloa, Goitom y Uche luchan por ser el '9'" [Ulloa, Goitom and Uche fight to be the '9']. Diario de Almería (in Spanish). 10 August 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "El Almería aparta a David Rodríguez, que se acerca al Celta" [Almería oust David Rodríguez, who moves closer to Celta]. Faro de Vigo (in Spanish). 13 July 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "El Celta refuerza su delantera con David Rodríguez" [Celta strengthen offence with David Rodríguez] (in Spanish). Fútbol de Segunda. 18 July 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "David quiere superar los 17 goles de la pasada Liga" [David wants to top 17 goals from last League]. Faro de Vigo (in Spanish). 29 July 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Tejedor, Toni (29 August 2012). "David Rodríguez ya es rojiblanco" [David Rodríguez is already red-and-white] (in Spanish). Fútbol Asturiano. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "El Lugo empata en Gijón ante el Sporting" [Lugo draw in Gijón against Sporting]. La Voz de Galicia (in Spanish). 9 September 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Albion seal David deal". Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. 31 January 2014. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Watford 2–0 Brighton". BBC Sport. 2 February 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "David Rodríguez, nuevo jugador del Alcorcón" [David Rodríguez, new player of Alcorcón]. Marca (in Spanish). 18 July 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "David Rodríguez: "Aposté por el Alcorcón, ellos por mí, y ha salido muy bien"" [David Rodríguez: "I gambled on Alcorcón, they did the same on me, and it turned out just fine"]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 9 June 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "6–1. El Alcorcón liquida al Llagostera con una primera parte de ensueño" [6–1. Alcorcón finish Llagostera with dream first half]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 24 October 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "El Club Atlético Osasuna ficha a David Rodríguez" [Club Atlético Osasuna sign David Rodríguez] (in Spanish). CA Osasuna. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "David Rodríguez jugará cedido en el Numancia hasta el final de la presente temporada" [David Rodríguez will play on loan at Numancia until the end of the current season] (in Spanish). CD Numancia. 30 January 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Osasuna y David Rodríguez alcanzan un acuerdo para finalizar su relación contractual" [Osasuna and David Rodríguez reach an agreement to end their contractual relationship] (in Spanish). CA Osasuna. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- "David Rodríguez, undécimo refuerzo del Racing 2019/20" [David Rodríguez, eleventh signing of Racing 2019/20] (in Spanish). Racing Santander. 20 August 2019. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- "Sergio, hermano de David Rodríguez, ficha por cinco temporadas" [Sergio, brother of David Rodríguez, signs for five seasons]. La Voz de Galicia (in Spanish). 13 August 2010. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "Sergio Rodríguez: Sergio Rodríguez Sánchez". BDFutbol. Retrieved 9 June 2011.