David Murray (racing driver)
David Murray (28 December 1909, in Edinburgh – 5 April 1973, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) was a British racing driver from Scotland. He participated in five Formula One World Championship Grands Prix, debuting on 13 May 1950, and also founded the Ecurie Ecosse Scottish motor racing team, based at Merchiston Mews in Edinburgh.
|Born||28 December 1909|
|Died||5 April 1973 (aged 63)|
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
|Formula One World Championship career|
|Teams||Non-works Maserati, non-works Cooper|
|Entries||5 (4 starts)|
|First entry||1950 British Grand Prix|
|Last entry||1952 British Grand Prix|
Murray was a chartered accountant by profession and raced an ERA and subsequently a Maserati 4CLT both domestically and in European events, before forming Ecurie Ecosse in 1952. He also participated in rallies and hill-climbs. After one World Championship event, for Ecosse, Murray retired as a driver to concentrate on running the team. Ecurie Ecosse won the Le Mans 24-hour race in both 1956 and 1957 each time with a Jaguar D-Type.
24 Hours of Le Mans resultsEdit
|1937||David Murray||Pat Fairfield||BMW 328||2.0||8||DNF||DNF|
Complete Formula One World Championship resultsEdit
|1950||Scuderia Ambrosiana||Maserati 4CLT/48||Maserati 4CLT 1.5 L4s||GBR
|1951||Scuderia Ambrosiana||Maserati 4CLT/48||Maserati 4CLT 1.5 L4 s||SUI||500||BEL||FRA||GBR
|1952||Ecurie Ecosse||Cooper T20||Bristol BS1 2.0 L6||SUI||500||BEL||FRA||GBR
- Jenkins, Richard. "The World Championship drivers – Where are they now?". OldRacingCars.com. Retrieved 29 July 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Small, Steve (1994). The Guinness Complete Grand Prix Who's Who. Guinness. p. 263. ISBN 0851127029.
- "Scottish win in Le Mans Grand Prix. Sanderson and Flockhart Defeat Moss and Collins". The Herald. Glasgow. 30 July 1956. p. 5. Retrieved 11 October 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "All Results of David Murray". RacingSportsCars. Retrieved 3 September 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "David Murray – Involvement". StatsF1. Retrieved 3 September 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)