David Magee (born 1962) is an American screenwriter who was nominated for a 2004 Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Finding Neverland. Along with Simon Beaufoy, he wrote the screenplay for Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams, which was released in 2008.
|Born||David Stuart Magee, Jr.|
1962 (age 60–61)
Flint, Michigan, U.S.
|Occupation||Screenwriter, producer, actor|
|Education||Michigan State University (BFA), University of Illinois (MFA)|
His 2012 screen adaptation of the novel Life of Pi by Yann Martel earned him a Satellite Award for Best Adapted Screenplay and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
He wrote the screenplay for the Disney musical Mary Poppins Returns, directed by Rob Marshall, and starring Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda, which was released in 2018. He received the Humanitas Prize in the Best Family Film category for his screenplay.
Magee is writing an untitled musical about Hans Christian Andersen with Stephen Schwartz.
In March 2019, it was announced that Paramount Pictures would develop an animated film version of The Tiger's Apprentice by Laurence Yep from Magee's script adaptation of the book.
In May 2020, it was also announced that Paul Feig would direct an adaptation of The School for Good and Evil based on a script by Magee.
In 2021, Magee was tapped to adapt the controversial romance novel Lady Chatterly's Lover, with Emma Corrin set to star, Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre directing, helmed by 3000 Pictures and distributed by Netflix.
In January 2022, it was announced that Marc Forster would direct Tom Hanks in an American adaptation of Swedish novel A Man Called Ove (retitled A Man Called Otto) with a script penned by Magee.
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008)
- Life of Pi (2012)
- Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
- The School for Good and Evil (2022)
- A Man Called Otto (2022)
- Lady Chatterley's Lover (2022)
- The Little Mermaid (2023)
- The Tiger's Apprentice (2024)
- Untitled Hans Christian Andersen musical (TBA)
- ^ ""Mary Poppins Returns" Sequel Announced for December 2018 - The Walt Disney Company". The Walt Disney Company. 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- ^ Haithman, Diane (February 9, 2019). "44th Humanitas Prize Honors Films 'On The Basis Of Sex' And 'Love Simon', TV's 'God Friended Me'". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 2, 2019.
- ^ Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 28, 2018). "Fox 2000 Wins Hans Christian Andersen Musical By 'Wicked's Stephen Schwartz, David Magee, Zadan & Meron; 'Baby Driver' Ansel Elgort Circling". deadline.com. Retrieved March 2, 2019.
- ^ Pedersen, Erik (15 March 2019). "Paramount Moves 'Limited Partners' To 2020 & Dates 'The Tiger's Apprentice' Toon". Deadline. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- ^ "Paul Feig to Direct 'The School for Good and Evil' For Netflix". 2020-05-28. Retrieved 2022-02-24.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (2020-06-25). "'Lady Chatterley's Lover' to Be Revived by 'The Mustang' Director and 3000 Pictures (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2022-02-24.
- ^ Wiseman, Andreas (2022-01-18). "Marc Forster To Direct Tom Hanks In 'A Man Called Ove;' SF Studios, Rita Wilson & Playtone And Forster's 2DUX2 Producing David Magee Script". Deadline. Retrieved 2022-02-24.
- ^ The Tiger's Apprentice at IMDb
- ^ Untitled Hans Christian Andersen Musical Project at IMDb