David Gibson (photographer)
Gibson's books include The Street Photographer's Manual (2014) and 100 Great Street Photographs (2017) / Street Photography: a History in 100 Iconic Images (2019). His photography has been published in a number of survey publications on street photography, and exhibited in group exhibitions in Britain (including at the Museum of London, which acquired his work for its permanent collection), at the Museum of the City of New York, and in France, Bangkok and Stockholm.
Life and workEdit
Gibson was born in 1957 in Ilford, Essex, UK. He worked for several years as a care worker. His early published photographs were of the elderly, children and the disabled, in Community Care magazine.
He completed an MA in Photography: History and Culture at University of the Arts London in 2002. He was one of the earliest photographers to join the In-Public street photography collective, founded by Nick Turpin in 2000. As well as his street photography, Gibson also leads street photography workshops.
Publications by GibsonEdit
- The Street Photographer's Manual. London: Thames & Hudson, 2014. ISBN 978-0-500-29130-6. Includes profiles on David Solomons, Matt Stuart, Nils Jorgensen, Trent Parke, Jesse Marlow, David Solomons and Narelle Autio; also includes contributions from Paul Russell, Nick Turpin, Richard Bram, Andy Morley-Hall, Gus Powell, and others.
- Street Photography: Manual de Fotografía de Calle. Blume, 2014. ISBN 978-8416138272. Spanish-language version.
- Street Photography: le Savoir Faire du Photographe de Rue. Dunod, 2014. ISBN 978-2100711352. French-language version.
- Manual do Fotógrafo de Rua. GG, 2015. ISBN 9788584520404. Portuguese-language version.
- Street Photography: Manuale del Fotografo di Strada. Castello, 2016. ISBN 978-8865207383. Italian-language version.
- 100 Great Street Photographs. Munich, London, New York: Prestel, 2017. Text by Gibson, photographs by various photographers. ISBN 978-3791383132.
Publications with contributions by GibsonEdit
- Publication #1. London: Nick Turpin Publishing, 2009. Essays by Gibson, Hin Chua, Michael David Murphy and Nick Turpin. Photographs by Matt Stuart, Narelle Autio, Martin Kollar, Joel Meyerowitz, Tod Papageorge, Trent Parke and Garry Winogrand. Edition of 2000 copies.
- 10 – 10 Years of In-Public. London: Nick Turpin Publishing, 2010. ISBN 978-0-9563322-1-9. Includes an essay by Jonathan Glancey, "Outlandish Harmony"; a foreword by Nick Turpin; and a chapter each by Gibson, Stuart, Turpin, Richard Bram, Andy Morley-Hall, Trent Parke, Narelle Autio, Jesse Marlow, Adrian Fisk, Nils Jorgensen, Melanie Einzig, Jeffrey Ladd, Amani Willett, Gus Powell, Christophe Agou, Otto Snoek, Blake Andrews, David Solomons, George Kelly and Paul Russell.
- Street Photography Now. London: Thames & Hudson, 2010. ISBN 978-0-500-54393-1 (hardback). London: Thames & Hudson, 2011. ISBN 978-0-500-28907-5 (paperback). Edited by Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren.
- London Street Photography: 1860–2010. London: Museum of London; Stockport: Dewi Lewis, 2011. ISBN 978-1907893032. Selected from the Museum of London collection by Mike Seaborne and Anna Sparham. Published to accompany an exhibition at the Museum of London.
Exhibitions with others or during festivalsEdit
- Onto the Streets, Photofusion, London, 21 July – 16 September 2006, then toured with the British Council. Curated by Stephen McLaren and Sophie Howarth.
- in-public @ 10, Photofusion, Brixton, London, 28 May – 9 July 2010.[n 2] Travelled to Les Ballades Photographiques de Seyssel, Seyssel, France, 12–23 July 2011. Included photographs by various In-Public members.
- Street Photography Now, Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff, 10 October – 14 November 2010. Photographs featured in the book Street Photography Now (2011).
- Derby Museum and Art Gallery, Format International Photography Festival, Derby, UK, 4 March – 3 April 2011. Exhibition of photographs by various In-Public members, and the film In-Sight (2011).
- London Street Photography: 1860-2010, Museum of London, London, 18 February – 4 September 2011. Included work by Gibson and others. Travelled to the Museum of the City of New York, 27 July – 2 December 2012.
- Contemporary London Street Photography, London Festival of Photography, London, June–August 2012.
- iN-PUBLiC: An Exhibition of Street Photography, Thailand Creative and Design Centre, Bangkok, Thailand, February–March 2013. In conjunction with the British Council. Photographs by various In-Public members.
- In Public, Snickerbacken 7, Stockholm, Sweden, May–June 2013. Photographs by various In-Public members.
- The Sharp Eye. In-Public in Mexico, Foto Mexico, Cine Tonalá, Mexico City, Mexico, October–November 2015. Slideshow of photographs by various In-Public members. Curated by Mark Powell, Carlos Álvarez Montero and Alfredo Esparza.
Gibson's work is held in the following permanent collection:
- The film is available to watch here within Turpin's site.
- The Photofusion website claims it showed the exhibition in 2012 but it actually did so in 2010.
- Turpin, Nick (2010). 10 – 10 Years of In-Public. London: Nick Turpin Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9563322-1-9.
- Gibson, David (2014). The Street Photographer's Manual. London: Thames & Hudson. p. 192. ISBN 978-0-500-29130-6.
- Baker, Mark (20 October 2014). "The Street Photographer's Manual by David Gibson Review". Paste. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Manual de fotografía de calle, un libro sobre la Street Photography". Fotografo digital y tutoriales Photoshop. 23 March 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Photographer, Amateur (22 May 2017). "What makes great street photography?". Amateur Photographer. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- Caminero, Kelly (26 May 2019). "Daily Life Captured by the Masters of Street Photography". Retrieved 29 December 2019 – via www.thedailybeast.com.
- "Photofusion Presents Onto the Streets". ArtDaily. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "in-public @ 10". Amateur Photographer. 12 June 2010 – via Internet Archive.
- "In-Public@10". Photofusion. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "74 - Seyssel • Balades photographiques de Seyssel". fr:Compétence photo. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Les balades photographiques de Seyssel, du 12 au 23 juillet". fr:La Tribune républicaine de Bellegarde. 7 July 2011. Archived from the original on 5 February 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Street photography now at the Third Floor Gallery Archived 1 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine", In-Public, 5 October 2010.
- "In-Public at the Derby Museum and Art Gallery". Format International Photography Festival. Archived from the original on 2 April 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Format Programme Announcement". Format International Photography Festival. Archived from the original on 11 February 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Battersby, Matilda (3 March 2011). "Format Festival: Street photography steals the show". The Independent. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Museum of London - London Street Photography". Archived from the original on 22 March 2011.
- "The streets of London and New York come to life in this exhibition and companion installation". Museum of the City of New York. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- "Sight seeing: London street photography – in pictures". The Guardian. 26 May 2012. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 29 December 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "iN-PUBLiC: An Exhibition of Street Photography". British Council. Archived from the original on 13 February 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "iN-PUBLiC: An Exhibition of Street Photography". Thailand Creative and Design Centre. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "In-Public: An Exhibition of Street Photography". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "In Public". Snickarbacken 7. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "The Sharp Eye. iN-PUBLIC in Mexico: Group Show". Centro de la Imagen. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Pigment Print: London, 2008". Museum of London. Retrieved 19 November 2016.