David Robert Carry (born 8 October 1981) is a Scottish former competition swimmer who represented Great Britain in the Olympics, FINA world championships and the European championships, and Scotland in the Commonwealth Games. He competed internationally in freestyle and medley swimming events. He is the winner of seven medals in major international championships. He is of Scottish-Faroese ancestry.
|Full name||David Robert Carry|
|National team||Great Britain|
|Born||8 October 1981|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
City of Aberdeen
|College team||Loughborough University|
He attended Robert Gordon's College during his school years. He represented Great Britain at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, competing the 400-metre freestyle and 4×200-metre freestyle relay swimming events. Four years later at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, he swam in the 400-metre freestyle, and qualified for the finals with the time 3:47.25. His final result was seventh, with the time 3:48.62. He was also a member of the British men's team in the 4×200-metre freestyle relay.
Carry retired from competitive swimming in October 2012. Following his retirement from swimming, he was performance director for his former sports management company, Red Sky Management, based in Edinburgh, as a business coach. David and his wife, Keri-Anne Payne, are founders of Triscape, to share their knowledge, experiences and passion for inspiring and enabling Healthy and Active Lifestyles in World Class Environments.
On 15 September 2012 at Craigiebuckler Church, Aberdeen, where generations of the Carry family have married, David and fellow swimmer Keri-Anne Payne were married. The couple had lived in Heywood, Greater Manchester. However, due to Carry's retirement from competitive swimming and in preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, after their wedding they relocated to Edinburgh, where Payne joined Warrender Baths Club.
Personal bests and recordsEdit
|Event||Long course||Short course|
|100 m freestyle||50.64||49.66|
|200 m freestyle||1:46.47 NR||1:45.63|
|400 m freestyle||3:47.17 NR||3:40.51|
|400 m individual medley||4:15.98||4:13.83|
- "Kvarti føroyingurin í finaluni" (in Faroese). sportal.fo – Føroyski ítróttar portalurin. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Swimming Schedule and Results". Archived from the original on 11 August 2007. Retrieved 22 August 2007. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Aberdeen swimmer David Carry announces retirement". BBC News. BBC. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Swarbrick, Susan (20 August 2013). "Keep calm and Carry on winning". The Herald. Glasgow: Newsquest. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Keri-Anne Payne's Team GB Olympic Profile
- Magnay, Jacqueline (29 December 2012) "Keri-Anne Payne considers switching to the pool after the pain of fourth at London Olympics", The Telegraph; retrieved 24 January 2013