Dangerbird Records is an independent record label in Los Angeles, California. The label is home to artists from around the world and part of the burgeoning Silver Lake music scene. The label has had international success from its small roster of artists including Silversun Pickups, Fitz and The Tantrums, and Minus the Bear.
|Founder||Peter Walker, Jeff Castelaz|
|Genre||Alternative rock, indie rock|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California|
The two founders represented different roles in the music industry. Jeff Castelaz had managed Feist, Phoenix, Citizen King, and others, while Peter Walker was a singer-songwriter. The label's first release: Walker's solo album Landed.
Their business approach includes a strong emphasis on artist development, and working with a network of partners to help the bands reach a wide market.
In 2006, Dangerbird gained repute after releasing Carnavas, the debut full-length album by Silversun Pickups, to sales of over 450,000. The band's lead singer Brian Aubert has said of Dangerbird, "They believe in careers, and the long haul - something that majors used to believe in. They stuck with us when most people wouldn't have."
On September 14, 2012, co-founder Peter Walker announced the promotion of Jenni Sperandeo to President and the departure of co-founder Jeff Castelaz. Sperandeo said in a statement, "After nearly 20 years in radio promotion, management and artist development, I am thrilled for the opportunity to step into this more comprehensive role at a rare, artist-driven enterprise."
- Wood, Mikael. "Dangerbird's Wings: Silversun Pickups' Label Bangs Out a Template for a Post–Major Label Landscape". LA Weekly.
- Baca, Ricardo (March 2, 2008). "Small-is-good strategy works for indie label". The Denver Post.
- Martins, Chris (August 22, 2010). "L.A.'s string of indie labels succeeds with a jack-of-all-trades approach". Los Angeles Times.
- MarketWatch.com - "Dangerbird Records Catalog is Newest Addition to DeliRadio"
- Style Section LA - "A Rare Bird"
- HypeBot.com - "DropKick Murphys, Dangerbird Records Talk D.I.Y. & Fan Engagement With Ian Rogers"
- ArtHouseMusic.com - "Dangerbird Records"
- Buzzbands.la - "Dangerbird Records’ eight-band day party raises $2,500 for the Pablove Foundation"
- Billboard Magazine - "Piero Giramonti Named Dangerbird Records President"
- The Comet - "Dangerbird Records and Reach Music Enter Publishing Agreement"
- PR Newswire - "Fontana Partners with Dangerbird Records"
- PlugInMusic.com - "Dangerbird Records Soar into SXSW"
- Racked.com - "Branding the Band: Dangerbird's Darker My Love Promo"
- ABC News - "Dangerbird Records Founder on a Mission Against Cancer"