This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Howe Gelb performing in 2007
|Birth name||Howard Gelb|
|Born||1956 (age 63–64)|
Scranton, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Origin||Tucson, Arizona, U.S.|
|Genres||Indie rock, Americana, alt.country, roots rock, indie folk, folk-rock, lo-fi|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, musician, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||Ow Om, Loose Music|
|Associated acts||Giant Sand, KT Tunstall |
The Band of Blacky Ranchette
Arizona Amp and Alternator
Gelb's approach to music is collaborative and he has recorded with a number of side projects. In a 2004 interview with Gelb, The Guardian wrote "Gelb's way of dealing with it was to treat Giant Sand (not to be confused with his 1970s electro-rock band Giant Sandworms) as a loose, uncompetitive, mutually supportive musical collective, a place for friends to hang out and play. 'I just liked the idea of having this kind of removed world, this brotherhood—the idea of a band being something more than a front person or dealing with the throes of fame.'"
In 2013, he worked with the Scottish singer/songwriter KT Tunstall on her fifth studio album Invisible Empire/Crescent Moon. He co-wrote and co-produced, and sang on several songs. His own solo album entitled The Coincidentalist was released on New West Records in November 2013.
- Valley of Rain (1985)
- Ballad of a Thin Line Man (1986)
- Storm (1987)
- The Love Songs (1988)
- Long Stem Rant (1989)
- Swerve (1990)
- Ramp (1991)
- Center of the Universe (1992)
- Stromausfall (1993)
- Purge & Slouch (1994)
- Glum (1994)
- Goods and Services (1995)
- Backyard Barbecue Broadcast (1995)
- Build Your Own Night It's Easy (1997)
- Chore of Enchantment (2000)
- The Rock Opera Years (2000)
- Unsungglum (2001)
- Cover Magazine (2002)
- Selections Circa 1990-2000 (Compilation, 2001)
- Infiltration of Dreams (2003)
- Too Many Spare Parts in the Yard Too Close at Hand (2003)
- Is All Over the Map (2004)
- Provisions (2008)
- Provisional Supplement (2008)
- Blurry Blue Mountain (2010)
- Tucson (2012)
- Heartbreak Pass (2015)
- The Sun Set Vol.1 [Vinyl LP] (2017)
- Returns To Valley Of Rain (2018)
Arizona Amp and AlternatorEdit
- Arizona Amp and Alternator (2005)
- The Open Road (2016)
- Dreaded Brown Recluse (1991)
- Hisser (1998)
- Upside Down Home (1998)
- Upside Down Home 2000 (2000)
- Confluence (2001)
- Lull Some Piano (2001)
- The Listener (2003)
- Upside Down Home 2002 (2003)
- Ogle Some Piano (2004)
- The Listener's Coffee Companion (2004)
- Upside Down Home 2004: Year of the Monkey (2004)
- 'Sno Angel Like You (2006)
- Fourcast: Flurries (2006)
- Upside Down Home 2007: Return to San Pedro (2007)
- Spun Some Piano (2008)
- 'Sno Angel Winging It (Live album) (2009)
- Alegrías (2010)
- Melted Wires (2010)
- Snarl Some Piano (2011)
- Dust Bowl (2013)
- The Coincidentalist (2013)
- Future Standards (2016)
- Further Standards (2017) [with Lonna Kelley]
The Band of Blacky RanchetteEdit
- The Band of Blacky Ranchette (1985)
- Heartland (1986)
- Sage Advice (1990)
- Still Lookin' Good to Me (2003)
- Slush (1997)
- Drunken Bees (1996) – Giant Sand documentary by Marianne Dissard
- Looking for a Thrill: An Anthology of Inspiration (2005) – Howe Gelb interviewed
- High and Dry: Where the Desert Meets Rock and Roll (2006) – documentary which includes music and interviews with Giant Sand members
- This Band Has No Members (2006) – Howe Gelb solo concert film of his Japan tour in 2005
- Ingenious (2009) - feature film soundtrack
- Jackie (2011) - actor, "Paul"
- "Bio". home. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Howe Gelb | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Sylvie Simmons (September 2004). "True Grit". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- "Heartache Gives KT Tunstall's New Album A Split Personality". NPR.org. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Howe Gelb - The Coincidentalist". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Howe Gelb". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Drunken Bees : Giant Sand 'documentary' DVD from Marianne Dissard". Marianne Dissard. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "V/A feat. Jon Spencer – Looking For a Thrill An Anthology of Inspiration (DVD, US) | Pop-Catastrophe.co.uk". www.pop-catastrophe.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "High and Dry the Movie: Where the Desert Meets Rock 'n' Roll". Upstairsfilm.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Workshop Lo-Vi :: Other Films/Projects". www.lo-vi.com. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Ingenious (2009), retrieved 2017-11-12