DJ Koze 2010
|Birth name||Stefan Kozalla|
|Born||1972 (age 46–47)|
Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
|Genres||Techno, tech house, minimal techno, microhouse, hip hop|
|Occupation(s)||Music producer, DJ|
Born in Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, he first became known in the Hamburg music scene. In the early 1990s he started as a rapper and DJ for various hip-hop groups in Flensburg. In 1991, DJ Koze reached second place in the German DMC Championship (an offshoot of the Disco Mix Club). Two years later, he moved to Hamburg and founded together with Cosmic DJ, DJ Stachy and the "Schreckliche Sven" the hip hop formation Fischmob, which persisted for about five years.
In parallel, he also dealt with electronic music, increased his name recognition as a DJ and produced some remixes, sometimes under the pseudonym Adolf Noise. A collection of such remixes appeared in 2000 under the title Music Is Okay. With Max Goldt as spokesman he released 2001 as Adolf Noise the single "Deine Reime sind Schweinereime", a satire on battle rap tracks in German hip hop.
Together with Cosmic DJ and Erobique he founded the project International Pony, from 2002 the album We Love Music and 2006 the LP Mit Dir sind wir vier. Since 2003, Koze published several Techno-Maxis at the Cologne label Kompakt under the name Monaco Schranze (a corruption of Monaco Franze and Schranz). There also appeared in 2004 his second mix CD titled All People Is My Friends.
As a DJ, he also performed at major raves such as Coachella, Tomorrowland, SonneMondSterne, Melt!, Time Warp, Mayday and Nature One. In reader surveys of the music magazines Spex, Intro and de: Bug he was repeatedly voted DJ of the Year.
The productions under the name Adolf Noise are generally more experimental and eccentric. After Wunden, s. Beine offen appeared in April 2005, the second Adolf Noise album Wo die Rammelwolle fliegt.
Since 2009 he runs the label Pampa Records. With his on Pampa Records released album 2013 Amygdala he entered for the first time the official German and Swiss charts. In addition, he was honored for the Echo Award 2014 with the Critics Award. On June 15, 2015, the 50th edition of the DJ Mix series DJ Kicks, was released on the Berlin label Studio !K7, which attracted a great deal of national and international attention. In 2017, he was nominated for two Electronic Music Awards for Record of the Year and Remix of the Year, both for his Extended Disco Version of Låpsley's "Operator".
In January 2018, DJ Koze announced his fourth studio album titled Knock Knock, which appeared on May 4, 2018 on his label Pampa Records. On July 12, 2018, his remix of the track Humility was released with the single The Now Now of the British band Gorillaz.
On October 19, 2018, he was awarded the Prize for Pop Culture in the category "Favorite Producer" at the Tempodrom Berlin.
- 2014: Critics' choice award (Amygdala)
- 2018: Category „Electronica/Downtempo“ (DJ Koze)
Preis für Popkultur
- 2018: Category „favourite producer“ (Knock Knock)
Pitchfork - The 50 Best Albums of 2018
- 2018: 3rd Place - Knock Knock
Pitchfork - The 100 Best Songs of 2018
- 2018: 5th Place - Pick Up
MIXMAG - The Top 50 Tracks of 2018
- 2018: 1st Place - Pick Up
Noisey - The 100 Best Albums of 2018
- 2018: 9th Place - Knock Knock
Resident Advisor - 2018's Best Tracks
- 2018: Pick Up
Rolling Stone - 50 Best Albums of 2018 So Far
- 2018: Knock Knock
FM4 - Most Wanted - 100 besten Clubtracks des Jahres
- 2018: 1st Place - Pick Up
- 2003: The Geklöppel Continues
- 2004: Late Check Out
- 2005: Lighta Spuba
- 2006: Kosi Comes Around - Remixes Part 1
- 2006: Stompin at the Clubfoot
- 2007: Naked
- 2018: Seeing Aliens
- 2018: Pick Up
- 2000: Music Is Okay
- 2009: Reincarnations: The Remix Chapter 2001-2009
- 2014: Reincarnations Pt. II: The Remix Chapter 2009-2014
- 2004: All People Is My Friends
- 2009: RA.145
- 2013: FACT 387
- 2013: XLR8R 324
- 2015: DJ-Kicks: DJ Koze (#50)
With Adolf Noise
- 1996: Wunden, S. Beine Offen
- 2005: Wo die Rammelwolle fliegt
- 1995: Männer können seine Gefühle nicht zeigen
- 1998: Power
With Monaco Schranze
- 2003: Speicher 11 (with Naum)
- 2004: Speicher 25 (with Gebr. Teichmann)
- Kellman, Andy. Reincarnations, Pt. 2: The Remix Chapter 2009-2014 at AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- "The alphabet according to DJ Koze". Electronic Beats. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- Musikindustrie, Bundesverband. "Erste ECHOs des Jahres verliehen". www.echopop.de. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage Dj Awards Gewinner" (in englisch). djawards.com. 2018-09-14. Retrieved 2018-10-24.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Gewinner 2018". preisfuerpopkultur.de. 2018-10-19. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Homepage Pitchfork - The 50 Best Albums 2018". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage Pitchfork - The 100 Best Songs of 2018". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage MIXMAG - The Top 50 Tracks of 2018". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage Noisey - The 100 Best Albums of 2018". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage Resident Advisor - 2018´s Best Tracks". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage Rolling Stone - 50 Best Albums of 2018 So Far". Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Homepage FM4 - Most Wanted - die 100 besten Clubtracks des Jahres". FM4.orf.at. Retrieved 2018-12-20.