"Cryin'" is a power ballad by American hard rock band Aerosmith. It was written by Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and Taylor Rhodes. It was released by Geffen Records on June 20, 1993 as a single from their eleventh studio album, Get a Grip. The single reached number 12 on the US Billboard Hot 100, ending the year at number 60 overall. The song is one of their most successful hits in Europe, reaching number one in Norway and Poland, number three in Sweden, and number 17 on the UK Singles Chart. The song went Gold in the United States for selling over 600,000 copies.
|Single by Aerosmith|
|from the album Get a Grip|
|B-side||"Walk on Down"|
|Released||June 20, 1993 (US)|
October, 1993 (UK)
|Recorded||1992 at A&M Studios in Los Angeles, California and/or Little Mountain Sound Studios in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Aerosmith singles chronology|
The music video for the song, directed by Marty Callner, features the first of three successive appearances by Alicia Silverstone in the band's videos, the next two being "Amazing" (1993) and "Crazy" (1994). Silverstone was 16 years old when "Cryin'" was filmed. In the video, the band performs in the Central Congregational Church in Fall River, Massachusetts. The video flashes back and forth between the band and Silverstone, who plays a teen who has a falling out with her boyfriend (played by Stephen Dorff) after catching him cheating. She feigns an attempt to kiss him, but instead leans away, annoying him. She then punches him and shoves him out of the car, leaving him in the dust. She begins a phase of rebellion and individuality and gets a navel piercing, which has largely been credited as introducing navel piercing to mainstream culture. After having her purse stolen by another young man (played by then-unknown Josh Holloway of Lost), she chases him down and knocks him to the ground. The video then cuts to her standing on the edge of an overpass, contemplating jumping. Her ex-boyfriend arrives on the scene, along with numerous police officers, encouraging her to come down from the bridge. She jumps, but a bungee rope is revealed, arresting her fall and leaving her dangling over the freeway, laughing at Dorff's character. The video ends with the dangling Silverstone looking up and giving Dorff the finger.
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Gold||5,000*|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Big Ones (CD insert). Aerosmith. U.S.A.: Geffen Records. 1994. GEFD-24716.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Aerosmith - BME Encyclopedia
- "MTV Top 100 Videos of 1993". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "MTV Video Music Awards | 1994 | Highlights, Winners, Performers and Photos from the 1994 MTV Video Music Awards". MTV.com. 1994-09-08. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Austriancharts.at – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 2270." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Aerosmith – Cryin'". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 50, 1993" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Aerosmith – Cryin'" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'". VG-lista.
- "Notowanie nr611" (in Polish). LP3. October 29, 1993. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Aerosmith – Cryin'". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Aerosmith - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- "The RPM Top 100 Hit Tracks of 1993". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Jaaroverzichten 1993" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1993". Archived from the original on 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "Jaaroverzichten 1994" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Top 100 Singles - Jahrescharts 1994" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Swiss Year-End Charts 1994" (in German). Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Aerosmith; 'Cryin)" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "IFPI Norsk platebransje Trofeer 1993–2011" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "American single certifications – Aerosmith – Cryin'". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 14, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.