Criminal: UK (or Criminal: United Kingdom) is a British police procedural anthology series created by George Kay and Jim Field Smith, starring David Tennant, Kit Harington, Hayley Atwell, Lee Ingleby, Sophie Okonedo, Kunal Nayyar, Clare-Hope Ashitey and Youssef Kerkour. Netflix released the first season of three episodes on 20 September 2019 and a second season of four episodes on 16 September 2020.
|Genre||Police procedural anthology series|
|Written by||George Kay|
|Directed by||Jim Field Smith|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||7 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||41–48 minutes|
|Production company||Idiotlamp Productions|
|Original release||20 September 2019 –|
It is part of Netflix's anthology series Criminal. The first season consisted of 12 total episodes, with three episodes each set in four countries and filmed in local languages: Criminal: France, Criminal: Spain, Criminal: Germany, and Criminal: UK.
The show is set within the confines of a police interrogation room where London investigators engage in intense games of psychological cat-and-mouse with their suspects to find the answers that they need to solve their cases.
- Katherine Kelly – Detective Chief Inspector Natalie Hobbs
- Lee Ingleby – Detective Inspector Tony Myerscough
- Mark Stanley – Detective Constable Hugo Duffy
- Rochenda Sandall – Detective Constable Vanessa Warren
- Shubham Saraf – Detective Constable Kyle Petit
- David Tennant – Dr. Edgar Fallon
- Hayley Atwell – Stacey Doyle
- Youssef Kerkour – Jamal 'Jay' Muthassin
- Nicholas Pinnock – Detective Inspector Paul Ottager
- Clare-Hope Ashitey – Detective Sergeant Adele Addo
- Isabella Laughland – McRae
- Sophie Okonedo – Julia Bryce
- Kit Harington – Alex
- Sharon Horgan – Danielle Dunne
- Kunal Nayyar – Sandeep Singh
- Aymen Hamdouchi – Detective Sergeant Jamie Reiss
The first season of Criminal: UK was filmed at Netflix's production hub at Secuoya Studios, Ciudad de la Tele (translation: Television City) in Madrid. This was the same location used for Criminal: France, Criminal: Spain and Criminal: Germany. The second season of Criminal: UK was filmed at Shepperton Studios, London, England.
David Tennant, Hayley Atwell and Youssef Kerkour were featured as the Accused in season one. In September 2020, Sophie Okonedo, Kit Harington, Sharon Horgan and Kunal Nayyar were announced to guest star as the Accused for the second season.
|1||3||20 September 2019|
|2||4||16 September 2020|
Season 1 (2019)Edit
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||1||"Edgar"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||20 September 2019|
|As time runs out, interrogators turn up the heat on a stone-faced doctor suspected of sexually assaulting and slaying his teenage stepdaughter.|
|2||2||"Stacey"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||20 September 2019|
|With a shadowy colleague looking on, the team starts poking holes in the evolving story of a combative suspect accused of poisoning her sister's partner.|
|3||3||"Jay"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||20 September 2019|
|The team badgers a reticent truck driver to locate an abandoned trailer full of immigrants, but a new interrogator's poor decision jeopardizes it all.|
Season 2 (2020)Edit
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|4||1||"Julia"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||16 September 2020|
|Called in one by one on a Sunday, the team risks a legal entanglement when a routine interview with a convicted killer's wife takes a provocative turn.|
|5||2||"Alex"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||16 September 2020|
|With scarce evidence to guide them, the investigators question an arrogant businessman accused of rape by a woman who works for him.|
|6||3||"Danielle"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||16 September 2020|
|Asking increasingly pointed questions, the team tries to crack a zealous defence put forth by the head of an online group that unmasks sexual predators.|
|7||4||"Sandeep"||Jim Field Smith||George Kay||16 September 2020|
|Confronted with a shrewd convicted killer wanting to cut a deal, the investigators gamble on calling in a disgraced former colleague to help.|
For season 1, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes compiled 38 reviews, identified 84% of them as positive, and assessed an average rating of 7.32/10. The website's critics consensus states, "Though a bit uneven, Criminal's claustrophobic stylings and constantly twisting narratives pair nicely with its visual experiments, creating a crime drama that's equal parts creepy and captivating".
For season 2, Rotten Tomatoes compiled 6 reviews, identified 100% as positive, and assessed an average rating of 7.5.
- Seddon, Dan (19 August 2020). "Line of Duty and Cheat-fronted Netflix show Criminal confirms season 2 return date". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- White, Peter (9 August 2019). "'Criminal': Netflix Sets Premiere Date For Nicholas Pinnock & Hayley Atwell Police Interrogation Drama". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
- Harrison, Ellie (13 October 2019). "When is Criminal released on Netflix? Who's in the cast and what's it about?". Radio Times. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
- White, Peter (17 June 2019). "'Criminal': Nicholas Pinnock, David Tennant & Hayley Atwell Star In Netflix Police Interrogation Drama". Deadline Hollywood.
- White, Peter (2 September 2020). "Kit Harington, Kunal Nayyar, Sharon Horgan & Sophie Okonedo To Star In Season 2 Of Netflix's 'Criminal'". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Criminal: UK: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- "Criminal: UK: Season 2". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 25 October 2020.