Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim
Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim (Eleonore Maria Anna; 16 February 1686 – 22 February 1753) was a Princess of the Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort. She was the Landgravine of Hesse-Rotenburg by marriage. Baptised as Eleonore Maria Anna, she was known as Eleonore meaning 'true and perpetual beauty'.
|Landgravine of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Born||16 February 1686|
|Died||22 February 1753 (aged 67)|
Schloss Rotenburg, Rotenburg
|Spouse||Ernest Leopold of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Issue||Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg|
Polyxena, Queen of Sardinia
Caroline, Princess of Condé
Constantine, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg
Christine, Princess of Carignan
Eleonore, Countess Palatine of Sulzbach
|House||House of Hesse-Kassel|
House of Löwenstein-Wertheim
|Father||Maximilian Karl Albert, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort|
|Mother||Maria Polyxena Khuen of Lichtenberg|
Born to Maximilian Karl Albert, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort and his wife Countess Maria Polyxena Khuen of Lichtenberg and Belasi, she was born in Vienna. She was their sixth child. Her father had entered imperial service at a young age, was an imperial counselor from 1684 thus her birth in Vienna, the capital of the Holy Roman Empire then ruled by Leopold I.
Her mother was a member of the family who ruled the County of Lichtenberg und Belasi. Her parents were first cousin's. She herself would marry her first cousin; Eleonore's paternal aunt Princess Maria Anna of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort had married William, Landgrave of Hesse-Rheinfels-Rotenburg, father of her husband Ernest Leopold of Hesse-Rotenburg, William's son and heir.
The couple married in Frankfurt on 9 November 1704, the bride being 18 and the groom 20. They were parents of 10 children, five of which would have progeny. She outlived her husband by three years.
- Joseph of Hesse-Rotenburg, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg (1705–1744), married Princess Christina of Salm had issue.
- Polyxena of Hesse-Rotenburg, Queen of Sardinia, (1706–1735) married Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia had issue.
- Wilhelmine Magdalene Leopoldina of Hesse-Rotenburg (1707–1708) died in infancy.
- Wilhelm of Hesse-Rotenburg (1708) died in infancy.
- Sophie of Hesse-Rotenburg (1709–1711) died in infancy.
- Franciscus Alexander of Hesse-Rotenburg (1710–1739) died unmarried.
- Eleonora of Hesse-Rotenburg (1712–1759) married John Christian, Count Palatine of Sulzbach no issue.
- Caroline of Hesse-Rotenburg (1714–1741) married Louis Henri de Bourbon had issue.
- Constantine of Hesse-Rotenburg, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg (1716–1778), his successor
- Christine of Hesse-Rotenburg (1717–1778) married Louis Victor of Savoy and has issue.
|Ancestors of Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim|
References and notesEdit
- Hans-Günter Kittelmann: Kleiner Führer durch die Rotenburger Quart 1627–1834 und das Fürstenhaus Hessen-Rotenburg. Geschichtsverein Altkreis Rotenburg. p. 28–43
Eleonore of Löwenstein-WertheimBorn: 16 February 1686 Died: 22 February 1753
Title last held byEleonora of Solms-Lich
| Landgravine consort of Hesse-Rotenburg
20 November 1725 – 29 November 1749
Maria Sophia of Starhemberg