Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg
Joseph of Hesse-Rotenburg (23 September 1705 – 24 June 1744) was the Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg from his birth till his death in 1744. He was heir apparent to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Rotenburg.
|Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Born||23 September 1705|
|Died||24 June 1744 (aged 38)|
Schloss Rotenburg, Germany
|Spouse||Christine of Salm|
|Issue||Anna Viktoria, Princess of Soubise|
Maria Ludovika, Duchess of Hoogstraeten
|Father||Ernest Leopold, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Mother||Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort|
Born at Langenschwalbach, he was the eldest child of Ernest Leopold, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg and his wife Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort. He was Heir apparent to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Rotenburg from his birth, and held the title till his death.
His siblings included Polyxena, future Queen of Sardinia; Caroline, future Princess of Condé and wife of Louis Henri, Duke of Bourbon, Prime Minister of France. His youngest sister Christine was Princess of Carignan and mother of the princesse de Lamballe.
He married Princess Christine of Salm, daughter of Ludwig Otto, Prince of Salm, and Princess Albertine of Nassau-Hadamar on 9 March 1726. The couple were married at Anholt and later produced four children, two of which would die young and one who would go on to have progeny.
He died at the Palace of the Landgrave's in Rotenburg an der Fulda (Schloss Rotenburg). In 1753, his wife married again Nicolaus Leopold, Prince of Salm-Salm but had no children. His youngest brother Constantine became Hereditary Prince and later became Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg.
- Landgravine Anna Viktoria (25 February 1728 – 1 July 1792) married Charles, Prince of Soubise, no issue;
- Landgravine Maria Ludovika Eleanore (18 April 1729 – 6 January 1800) married Friedrich Ernst Maximilian of Salm-Salm, Duke of Hoogstraeten, had issue;
- Landgravine Leopoldine Dorothea Elisabeth Marie (1 October 1731 – ?) died in infancy;
- Landgrave Ernest (28 May 1735 – 6 June 1742) died in infancy.
|Ancestors of Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg|
References and notesEdit
- a daughter of Moritz Heinrich, Prince of Nassau-Hadamar 1653-1679
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 64.