Coprophilia (from Greek κόπρος, kópros—"excrement" and φιλία, philía—"liking, fondness"), also called scatophilia or scat (Greek: σκατά, skatá—"feces"), is the paraphilia involving sexual arousal and pleasure from feces.
In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), published by the American Psychiatric Association, it is classified under 302.89—Paraphilia NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) and has no diagnostic criteria other than a general statement about paraphilias that says "the diagnosis is made if the behavior, sexual urges, or fantasies cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning". Furthermore, the DSM-IV-TR notes, "Fantasies, behaviors, or objects are paraphilic only when they lead to clinically significant distress or impairment (e.g. are obligatory, result in sexual dysfunction, require participation of nonconsenting individuals, lead to legal complications, interfere with social relationships)".
Although there may be no connection between coprophilia and sadomasochism (SM), the limited data on the former comes from studies of the latter. A study of 164 males in Finland from two SM clubs found that 18.2% had engaged in coprophilia; 3% as a sadist, 6.1% as a masochist, and 9.1% as both. In the study pool 18% of heterosexuals and 17% of homosexuals had tried coprophilia, showing no statistically significant difference between heterosexuals and homosexuals. In a separate article analyzing 12 men who engaged in bestiality, an additional analysis of an 11-man subgroup revealed that six had engaged in coprophilic behavior, compared with only one in the matched control group consisting of 12 SM-oriented males who did not engage in bestiality.
Society and culture
American musician Chuck Berry recorded videos of himself urinating on and engaging corophilia with women. In one video, a woman defecates on him after he says "Now it's time for my breakfast". He was also sued for videotaping dozens of women in the restroom of a restaurant he owned, which has been identified as being motivated by his coprophilia fetish.
The Cleveland steamer is a colloquial term for a form of coprophilia, where someone defecates on their partner's chest. The term received news attention through its use in a U.S. Congress staff hoax email and being addressed by the United States Federal Communications Commission.
- 2 Girls 1 Cup
- Ass to mouth—removing the penis from the passive partner's anus followed by its immediate insertion into the mouth
- Coprophagia—the consumption of feces
- Dirty Sanchez—an urban legend which involves smearing feces under the nose of the partner in the form of a moustache
- Flatulence fetishism
- Hot Karl (slang)
- Urolagnia (also known as urophilia)—a paraphilia involving sexual pleasure from urine
- Holmes, Ronald M. (6 November 2001). Sex Crimes: Patterns and Behavior. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications. p. 244. ISBN 0-7619-2417-5. OCLC 47893709.
- Corsini, Raymond J. (2002). The Dictionary of Psychology. Philadelphia: Brunner-Routledge. p. 224. ISBN 1-58391-328-9. OCLC 48932974.
- Flora, Rudy (2001). How to Work with Sex Offenders: A Handbook for Criminal Justice, Human Service, and Mental Health Professionals. New York: Haworth Clinical Practice Press. p. 91. ISBN 0-7890-1499-8. OCLC 45668958.
- N. Kenneth Sandnabba; Pekka Santtila; Niklas Nordling (August 1999). "Sexual Behavior and Social Adaptation Among Sadomasochistically-Oriented Males". Journal of Sex Research. 36 (3): 273–282. doi:10.1080/00224499909551997.
- Sandnabba N. K.; Santtila P.; Nordling N.; Beetz A. M.; Alison L. (November 2002). "Characteristics of a Sample of Sadomasochistically-oriented Males with Recent Experience of Sexual Contact with Animals". Deviant Behavior. 23 (6): 511–529. doi:10.1080/01639620290086503. S2CID 144188679.
- Sagar, Mike (February 1993). "Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roll Especially Sex". Spy Magazine. pp. 58–63.
- "The Complicated Truth About Chuck Berry". MTV. Archived from the original on 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- Gilmore, Mikal (7 April 2017). "Chuck Berry: Farewell to the Father of Rock". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 20 June 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Hines, Will (2011-04-27). "Diving Into the Archives of 'Spy,' The Funniest Magazine Ever". Vulture. Retrieved 2021-02-20.
- State Of Shock | Shock Jocks | Pop Culture News | News + Notes | Entertainment Weekly | 1
- Fritscher, Jack (1978). "Review of END PRODUCT: THE FIRST TABOO by Dan Sabbath and Mandel Hall, Preface by Abby Rockefeller. URIZEN BOOKS, N.Y., 1977. 287 pp" (PDF). Drummer. No. 22. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- Xavier CM (June 1955). "Coprophilia; a clinical study". Br J Med Psychol. 28 (2–3): 188–90. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8341.1955.tb00893.x. PMID 14389628.