Celebrity sex tape
A celebrity sex tape is typically an amateur pornographic video recording involving one or more famous people which has, intentionally or unintentionally, been made available publicly. Such videos have often been released without the consent of their subjects, and have damaged celebrities' careers. In 1988, for example, a sex tape caused significant damage to Rob Lowe's career.
The surfacing of sex tapes has become so common that some are "leaked" as a marketing tool to advance or establish a media career. A celebrity can fight the release in court to maintain deniability while still enjoying the career benefits. In contrast, a celebrity may take the route of openly releasing the tape and benefit directly from royalties as well as indirectly from the publicity. The current public acceptance of celebrities with sex tapes is speculated by Joe Levy, executive editor of Rolling Stone, to be due to the easy availability of pornography, as well as couples more commonly making their own tapes due to the prevalence of video cameras.
Famous celebrity sex tapesEdit
The following is an alphabetical list by surname of individuals known to have their sexual acts recorded and distributed:
- Farrah Abraham, the former Teen Mom star, had a pornographic film released by Vivid Entertainment in May 2013 that was marketed as a sex tape. The video featured her having sex with porn star James Deen which she legally sold to Vivid reportedly for $1.5 million. Abraham defended her decision to make the video claiming that she wanted to "celebrate [her] awesome body".
- Pamela Anderson has appeared in two distinct sex tapes.
- Pamela Anderson and then-husband Tommy Lee had various interludes from their honeymoon placed online by Seth Warshavsky of the Internet Entertainment Group in 1998 as one of the earliest internet celebrity sex tapes.
- Pamela Anderson and Bret Michaels (singer of the band Poison) had a sex tape released as a DVD on 7 September 2005. The footage had been circulating on the internet for many years.
- Joe Barton, a US Congressman from Texas, came to national attention when nude selfie photos of him and video he had taken of himself masturbating both surfaced online in 2017.
- Leola Bell, the Playboy magazine Playmate appeared in a 2012 video that was released by adult film producer Red Light District that was shot and acquired before her February 2012 pictorial.
- Dane Bowers, singer with English pop group Another Level, made a video of himself having sex with his glamour model girlfriend Katie Price, which was stolen from their flat in 1999 and became one of the UK's most popular celebrity sex tapes.
- Chu Mei-feng had a 47-minute video CD secretly taken with a pinhole camera, released by a local paparazzi magazine in December 2001. The video showed Chu having sex with Tseng Chung-ming, who was later confirmed as a married man. Despite local authorities' immediate effort to pull all the magazines in question from the market, the video quickly spread via the Internet. In January 2002, search engine Lycos reported that her name was among the most searched terms.
- Chua Soi Lek, while serving as Malaysia's Health Minister, was secretly videotaped having sex. Two resulting DVDs were distributed freely and anonymously to various homes in Batu Pahat. On 2 January 2008, Chua announced his resignation, despite saying he would not do so the previous day.
- Daniela Cicarelli was a Brazilian TV show hostess for MTV Brasil and fashion model. Her sex video was broadcast on the TV show Dolce Vita on Spanish channel Telecinco. It revealed Cicarelli on a beach in Spain fondling her boyfriend, Merrill Lynch employee Renato "Tato" Malzoni, and later having sex with him in the water.
- Tulisa Contostavlos is a British singer/actress and during her time on talent show The X Factor, on which she was a judge, a tape was released that showed her giving oral sex to her ex-boyfriend, rapper Justin Edwards, also known as MC Ultra. Contostavlos accused MC Ultra of releasing the tape, but he denied it. She also got her lawyers to take it off the internet and released a YouTube video to put 'her side of the story' across to the public.
- Amy Fisher, the infamous "Long Island Lolita," who in 1992, at the age of 17, had shot and seriously injured the wife of her then 36-year-old lover Joey Buttafuoco, in 2007, made a number of sex tapes with her husband Louis Bellera. In late 2007, nude pictures of Fisher appeared on the internet, followed shortly by several of the videos. Subsequently, at the age of 33, Fisher started her own porn site, released a pay-per-view adult film titled Amy Fisher: Caught On Tape, and commenced to tour the United States as a stripper.
- Katrina Halili was one of three principals associated with the so-called "Hayden Camera" controversy, where in May 2009, videos were leaked that revealed sexual encounters between Halili and Dr. Hayden Kho, and which were distributed over the Internet without her consent.
- Tonya Harding and her then husband Jeff Gillooly had a sex tape that was leaked onto the internet and subsequently became so widely available that the couple decided to release it legitimately on their own. It is commercially sold by Penthouse Home Video as the "Wedding Night" tape, even though the wedding gown was actually a Halloween costume.
- Chelsea Handler The tape alternates between Handler performing standup and having sex with a man.
- Keeley Hazell, a British glamour model had a sex tape made with her ex-boyfriend Lloyd Miller published on the Internet in early January 2007.
- Paris Hilton and then-boyfriend Rick Salomon recorded themselves having sex in a hotel room, shot in night vision. Hilton initially attempted to stop the distribution of the tape, but she now receives profits from the distribution of the video. This footage, along with additional full-color footage, was released commercially under the title 1 Night in Paris.
- Vietnamese television star Hoàng Thùy Linh lost her job on a TV series after a video of the 19-year-old having sex with her boyfriend was released on the internet.
- Hulk Hogan, professional wrestler, and radio host Bubba the Love Sponge's ex-wife Heather Clem Cole were seen in a grainy video that surfaced early in 2012. Hogan sued Gawker for $100 million for defamation, loss of privacy, and emotional pain due to the release of the tape, and on March 18, 2016, was awarded $115 million.
- Nazril Irham, an Indonesian pop star known as 'Ariel' was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison in January 2011 for appearing in two sex videos circulating on the internet. TV presenter Luna Maya and soap opera star Cut Tari initially denied being the women in the videos. The videos prompted an outpouring of criticism from conservative Muslims. Under a controversial anti-pornography law that came into effect in Indonesia in 2008, defendants can face up to twelve years in prison, even if the court determines they never intended the videos to be leaked to the public. The video could also result in Azrim's prosecution under a law banning adultery, owing to Cut Tari having been married at the time the video was made in 2006.
- Kim Kardashian made a sex tape with her then boyfriend Ray J in 2003, that was leaked in 2007. She threatened to take legal action to block its planned distribution by Vivid Video. Her sex tape bolstered her career when E! made her and her family the focus of a reality show called Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
- Jayne Kennedy, a former sportscaster and blaxploitation actress, had a sex tape stolen and released showing her with former husband Leon Isaac Kennedy.
- Chyna – Former professional wrestler, Joanie Laurer, made her adult film debut with the 2004 video 1 Night in China. Laurer and Sean Waltman approached Red Light District Video to distribute the homemade video. She then appeared in her second video entitled Another Night in China in 2009. In 2011, Laurer starred in her first professional pornographic film for Vivid Video entitled Backdoor to Chyna." She also starred for Vivid as She-Hulk in their parody of The Avengers," released in May 2012. A spinoff feature centered around the She-Hulk character and titled She-Hulk XXX was released to video in April 2013.
- John Leslie, former presenter of British television shows Blue Peter and This Morning, made a home video of himself receiving oral sex from his nurse girlfriend Abi Titmuss in 2000. He also filmed Titmuss performing and receiving oral sex with another woman. The video became widely distributed in 2004 under the title "Titmuss Out for the Lads." Leslie coincidentally shares the same name with a deceased well-known porn film actor and director.
- Jenna Lewis, a contestant on Survivor, had her wedding night sex tape released. It features 42 minutes of sex with her husband, model Travis Wolfe, in a Las Vegas, Nevada hotel room.
- Nikko London and Mimi Faust of VH1's reality show Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta have a sex tape, which leaked in April 2014.
- Rob Lowe faced controversy in the 1980s from having taped himself having sex with two young women he met at an Atlanta night club. After the tape was released, Lowe's career rebounded, with the actor spoofing the tapes during an appearance on Saturday Night Live.
- Kimberly Ashlyn McKarny best known as Ashlyn Gere, the stage name of an American former pornographic actress who performed in both heterosexual and lesbian films and also an actress in mainstream film and television. For her adult film work, Gere is an inductee into the AVN and XRCO Halls of Fame. For her mainstream work, she is best known for her appearances on the science fiction television series The X-Files and Space: Above and Beyond.
- A pornographic video tape of Mindy McCready and an ex-boyfriend referred to as "Peter" went on sale by Vivid Entertainment on 19 April 2010. McCready claimed the video was stolen from her home three years ago.[not in citation given]
- Olivia Mojica, a contestant on season two of American Idol, recorded a sex tape with then-boyfriend Adam Roberts in early 2007. It was released by Vivid Video in May of that year under the title "Olivia Mojica: Hardcore Idol."
- Carolyn Murphy's ex-husband Jake Schroeder allegedly tried to sell a tape featuring them having sex during their honeymoon in 1999 while in Barbados. In January 2006, Schroeder was arrested and charged with extortion for trying to sell the tape. The video was leaked onto the internet in April 2006.
- Nicole Narain and Colin Farrell have a 13-minute sex tape, recorded in 2003. Farrell confirmed the existence of the tape and obtained a court order blocking its distribution, but copies of the tape nevertheless appeared on the internet in January 2006.
- Vince Neil made a sex tape in 1993 with porn star Janine Lindemulder and actress/former Penthouse Pet Brandy Ledford (who was mosaically-obscured) which was leaked and eventually released by the same company that distributed the by-then infamous sex video made by Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee.
- Noelia. In June 2007, a sex tape of Puerto Rican singer Noelia and her former boyfriend started circulating on the Internet.
- Thien Thanh Thi Nguyen, best known as Tila Tequila. Two sex tapes featuring Tequila were rumoured to exist as early as 2010. In 2011, Vivid Entertainment released a video of Tequila engaging in sexual acts with pornographic actresses Kristina Rose and Charlie Laine. Tequila stated that the video was made for personal use and she did not consent to its release. In December 2013, another sex-tape was announced, this time of Tequila and "an ex-boyfriend." It was released as a Vivid Video download in mid January 2014.
- Belén Rodríguez, in 2011, a sex tape featuring Belén and Tobias Blanco, her former boyfriend, was posted on the internet.
- Kate Ritchie, in 2000 a sex tape of Australian TV soapie star Kate Ritchie and her ex-boyfriend was released on VHS tape in Australian sex shops. Rumours had been floating around since July the previous year of the tape's existence. The tape features 14 minutes of high action activity and is believed to have been shot using a camcorder in a home on Sydney's Northern Beaches.
- Shauna Sand starring in Shauna Exposed released by Vivid Entertainment.
- Karissa Shannon, Playboy Playmate and glamour model, attracted some publicity by confirming in 2010 that she had been involved in sex tapes with Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag. One sex tape of her and boyfriend actor Sam Jones III was released on DVD by Vivid Entertainment in October 2010 as Karissa Shannon Superstar.
- Gene Simmons, In 2008, a video on the Internet surfaced which purported to be Simmons engaging in sexual activity with an unnamed woman. Simmons later stated that the tape was recorded without his consent or knowledge and that his legal team was pursuing legal options including copyright infringement.
- Courtney Stodden, reality show contestant, attracted controversy over a sex tape featuring her performing oral sex on her significantly older husband, Doug Hutchison, as well as another solo video. The video was released through Vivid Entertainment. According to Vivid, it is the most successful "self-pleasure video", with $1.2 million netted after 24 hours. Stodden has stated that she intends to donate her $1 million payout to charity.
- Tamara "Tammy" Lynn Sytch, WWE Diva, aka "Sunny", starring in Tammy Lynn Sytch - Sunny Side Up.
- Verne Troyer: On 25 June 2008, a private home video leaked of Troyer and his former live-in girlfriend, Ranae Shrider, having sex. The video, filmed in 2008 in Beverly Hills, California, and Shrider's hometown of Fort Cobb, Oklahoma, was leaked to the public by Shrider and TMZ. Kevin Blatt, the man responsible for brokering the deal for Paris Hilton's sex tape in 2003, tried to sell the video. Troyer, through his long-time attorney, Ed McPherson, sued TMZ, Blatt, and online rental company SugarDVD, for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement.
- Severina Vučković: In 2004, the Croatian singer was involved in an internationally reported sex scandal after a video featuring her and Bosnian Croat businessman Milan Lučić leaked onto the Internet, which was reported by the Croatian online tabloid Index.hr. Vučković had earlier opposed premarital sex in her public appearances and was claimed to be a practicing Roman Catholic. Vučković sued the website that released the tape for damages, claiming that the video was stolen from her and that it was her intellectual property, but her lawsuit was later dismissed by a Zagreb district court in July 2004.
- Hayward, Philip; Rahn, Alison (January 2015). "Opening Pandora's Box: pleasure, consent and consequence in the production and circulation of celebrity sex videos". Porn Studies. Taylor and Francis. 2 (1): 49–61. doi:10.1080/23268743.2014.984951.
- Ogunnaike, Lola (19 March 2006). "Sex, Lawsuits and Celebrities Caught on Tape". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Hinant, Cindy (2015). Deskins, Sally, ed. Les Femmes Folles: The Women. Omaha: Les Femmes Folles. p. 6.
...investigates the reality star Farrah Abraham who dabbles in acting, writing, singing, and cooking, but is best known for appearing in the MTV reality series Teen Mom and then scandalously starring in the pornographic video Backdoor Teen Mom produced by Vivid Entertainment. Abraham participates in a phenomenon that I refer to as “the aesthetics of violation” which is evident in media genres such as celebrity sex tapes and upskirt photography wherein a significant part of the appeal is that the images may have been produced or released without permission of the women involved.
- Marcus, Stephanie (6 May 2013). "Farrah Abraham Sex Tape Released: Former 'Teen Mom' Star Gets It On With James Deen In Porn Video". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Halter, Ed (2 December 2003). "Secrets and Thighs: A history of celebrity sex tapes, real and fake, from Joan Crawford to Paris Hilton". The Village Voice. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Republican Rep. Joe Barton apologizes after lewd photo surfaces," Fox News.
- "GOP congressman Barton apologizes for nude selfie" - POLITICO
- "After cringe-worthy photo, let voters decide on Rep. "Joe Barton's future" | Editorials," Dallas News.
- "Red Light to Release Playboy Playmate Leola Bell Celeb Sex Tape". AVN.com. Adult Video News. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Robertson, James (10 May 2013). "The top 10 biggest celeb sex tapes of all time". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Sex scandal politician's singing debut". BBC News. 15 March 2002. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "After sex tape, Malaysia health minister resigns". NBC News. AP. 2 January 2008. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Cheng, Jacqui (27 June 2007). "YouTube wins "supermodel sex on the beach" case". Ars Technica. Retrieved 16 August 2008.
- Andrea Magrath and Emily Sheridan (22 March 2012). "Tulisa's ex-boyfriend MC Ultra responds to sex tape accusation". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Tulisa's Sex Tape Confession: "It Is Me"". MTV. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Moss, Corey (25 February 2005). "Fred Durst Says Sex Video Stolen From His PC". MTV. Retrieved 6 March 2008.
- "Limp Bizkit rocker sues over Web sex tape". USA Today. Associated Press. 9 March 2005. Retrieved 19 July 2009.
- "Pippi Long-shocking!". The Sun. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- K. Li, David (29 October 2007). "Amy Fisher's Sexy Video". New York Post. Archived from the original on 29 February 2008. Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- Lambe, Stacy. "A Complete Index Of Celebrity Sex Tapes". VH1. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Palace joins outrage over doc's sex videos – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos". Newsinfo.inquirer.net. 21 May 2009. Archived from the original on 9 April 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea Handler Sex Tape – It's No Joke!". Radar Online. Los Angeles. 1 May 2010.
- Hendry, Sharon (10 May 2007). "Keeley in rage at her exlover". The Sun. London.
- Hoang, Thuy Linh (22 October 2007). "Web sex clip halts Vietnam TV show". BBC. London. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "Heather Clem, Hulk Hogan's sex tape becomes web's biggest story | National Post". Arts.nationalpost.com. Archived from the original on 30 January 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Hogan suing for $100 million". The Observer. November 3, 2015.
- "Hulk Hogan Awarded $115 Million in Privacy Suit Against Gawker". The New York Times. March 18, 2016.
- Angeles, Edward Helmore Nicky Woolf in Los (2016-03-19). "Hulk Hogan awarded $115m in Gawker sex tape lawsuit". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Ariel sentenced to three-and-a-half-years jail". Jakarta Globe. 31 January 2011. Archived from the original on 3 February 2011.
- Vaswani, Karishma (25 June 2010). "Sex tape charges for Indonesian star Nazril Irham". BBC News, Jakarta. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Martinez, Edecio (25 June 2010). "Nazril Irham Sex Tape: Indonesian Pop Star Detained Over Sex Tapes". CBS News. Archived from the original on 29 June 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- BELFORD, AUBREY (13 June 2010). "Sex Tape Scandal Fixates Indonesia". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- "Islamist Creep in Indonesia". The Wall Street Journal. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Hancock, Noelle (8 February 2007). "Kim Kardashian to Sue Over Sex Tape Release Archived 10 February 2007 at the Wayback Machine.." Us Weekly. Retrieved 2 August 2008.
- "Backdoor to Chyna". Vivid Video. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- Wilson, William S. (2012-05-20). "The XXX Factor: The Avengers XXX (2012)". Video Junkie. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Vivid Announces Former Pro Wrestler Chyna to Star in 'She Hulk XXX'". The Flick Cast. 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- Wilson, William S. (2013-06-08). "The XXX Factor: She-Hulk XXX (2013)". Video Junkie. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "'I was labelled a monster and thought about killing myself': John Leslie opens up about how false rape claims ruined his life". Daily Mail. London. 6 January 2013.
- Rogers, Steve (18 June 2004). "Jenna Lewis sex tape surfaces on the Internet". Reality TV World. Retrieved 19 July 2009.
- "'Love & Hip Hop' Star Hardcore Sex Tape With Reality Co-Star". TMZ. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Green, Michelle (19 March 1990), "Rob Lowe's Tale of the Tape", People, 33 (11), pp. 58–65
- "Official site biography". Archived from the original on 22 April 2009. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- "Mindy McCready Tape – "Baseball Mistress" Reveals Roger Clemens Tales for Vivid". National Ledger. 29 March 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- "''EXCLUSIVE: New Mindy McCready Sex Tape Includes Interview About Roger Clemens.'' Fox News March 29, 2010". Foxnews.com. 7 April 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- Mindy McCready Sex Video to Derail Tour? CBS News March 30, 2010.
- ""Hardcore Idol" – EXXXposed!". TMZ.com. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "Carolyn Murphy's Triple X-mas". Radar. 3 November 2005. Archived from the original on 18 February 2007.
- "Model's Husband Arrested Over Sex Tape". World Entertainment News Network. 13 January 2006. Retrieved 1 January 2007.
- Hart, Josh (19 April 2006). "Supermodel Sex Tape: Carolyn Murphy Video Now Online". National Ledger. Archived from the original on 1 January 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2007.
- "And Vince Neil Makes Three". Business.avn.com. 26 May 1999. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- Robertson, Josh (20 September 2012). "A Detailed History of Celebrity Sex Tapes - Vince Neil". Complex. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Noelia Sex Tape Hits Net". Contactmusic.com. 18 July 2007.
- Good, Robyn (29 September 2010). "Tila Tequila Has Two Sex Tapes – One With A Guy And One With A Girl!". CelebDirtyLaundry.com. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "Tila Tequila Sex Tape – Vivid Celebs". Vivid Entertainment.
- "Porn Company: You Jacked Our Tila Sex Tape!". TMZ. January 31, 2011. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- Gray, Lila (13 December 2013). "Tila Tequila to Release New Boy/Girl Sex Tape". XFans.com. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Tila Tequila Even I Think It's Disgusting". TMZ.com. 5 January 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Video hard Belen/ Borriello conferma: showgirl minorenne nel sex tape | calcio mercato web | Calciomercatoweb.it | Notizie di calcio e mercato, dirette live, probabili formazioni, pagelle fantacalcio". Calciomercatoweb.it. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Marco Borriello in tribunale per il video hard di Belen | Gossip Fanpage". Gossip.fanpage.it. 26 July 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Celebrity sex tapes The Daily Telegraph (Sydney) April 5, 2007
- Gensler, Howard (23 August 2010). "More tawdry tales from the Spencer & Heidi show". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "Playmate in Pratt-Montag sex tape". Toronto Sun. 22 August 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "CD Universe Warning Page". Cduniverse.com. 3 July 1995. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "KISS and Tell: Simmons Sex Tape Goes Viral". The Age (Australia), 22 February 2008.
- "Gene Simmons to Sex Site: Suck My Copyright!". TMZ.com. TMZ. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Courtney Stodden -- My Solo Sex Tape Self-Pleasured Tens of Thousands". TMZ. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Courtney Stodden Sex Tape". SexTape.com. Celeb Media Group. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Sherri L. Shaulis (3 July 2008). "AVN Exclusive: Verne Troyer's Ex Discusses Sex Tape, Relationship, More". AVN. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- Isola, Laurie (26 June 2008). "Troyer in Sex Tape Scandal". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- "STOLEN SEX TAPE On the Black Market". TMZ. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Usher Sex Tape For Sale: Report". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Usher Sex Tape". SexTape.com. Celeb Media Group. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Croatian pop icon red-faced over sex romp". www.iol.co.za. 2 June 2004. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- Pop Star Asks Court To Show Her Porn Movie. The Independent, 30 October 2004
- "Croatian star wants sex movie shown in court". www.iol.co.za. 29 October 2004. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Odbačena Severinina kaznena prijava". Sarajevo-X.com (in Croatian). 1 July 2004. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Hard-porn video of Croatia's pop icon shown at court. Agence France Presse-English, 13 December 2004 iol.co.za eroplanet.com
- Thomas, Devon (1 June 2010). "Kendra Wilkinson Sextape Video: "People Are Going to Judge Me and Stuff"". CBS News. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Kendra Wilkinson Sex Tape - Face Time". TMZ.com. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2014.