Colgate is an umbrella brand principally used for oral hygiene products such as toothpastes, toothbrushes, mouthwashes and dental floss. Manufactured by the American consumer-goods conglomerate Colgate-Palmolive, Colgate oral hygiene products were first sold by the company in 1873, sixteen years after the death of the founder, William Colgate. The company originally sold soap.
According to a 2015 report by market research company Kantar Worldpanel, Colgate is the only brand in the world purchased by more than half of all households. Colgate has a global market penetration of 67.7% and a global market share of 45%. Despite this, it maintained the highest growth rate of all brands in the survey, with 40 million new households purchasing Colgate-branded products in 2014. Its global market penetration is nearly 50%; higher than the second-placed brand in the study, Coca-Cola with 43.3% penetration.
It has been in Malaysia since the 1920s. It is in Nepal and India, with manufacturing units based in India and exported to Nepal. While in the Philippines, it was introduced in 1926 under The Palmolive Company Philippines before it changed its name to Colgate-Palmolive Philippines in 1949.
In 1957, Colgate established its first factory in India to produce toothpaste for the domestic market, and by 1999 became the highest selling brand in the world. Colgate products are marketed in China under its Chinese Brand name 高露洁 (Pinyin: Gāolùjié), which means "high-quality cleaning gel". As of 2002, Colgate occupied 20% of the market share for toothpastes in China. As of 2015[update], it also commanded approximately 70% of the oral care market in Brazil.
In 2007, the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK told Colgate that it could no longer make the claim that 4 out of 5 dentists recommended Colgate. Investigation had showed that the study had telephone surveyed dentists to list toothpastes they recommended, and their competitors were recommended at similar rates. The claim was deemed deceptive.
As of 2015[update], oral care products (principally produced under the Colgate brand) were the Colgate-Palmolive company's largest source of income, making up around US$7.5 billion, or 47% of net sales globally (with personal care products such as shampoos making up 20%, home care products such as laundry detergents 19% and pet nutrition products making up the remaining 14%).
- "Colgate bought by over half of the world households - Global site - Kantar Worldpanel". www.kantarworldpanel.com. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Colgate-Palmolive Company 2015 Annual Report" (PDF). The Colgate-Palmolive Company. Retrieved January 12, 2016.
- "Brand Footprint". www.brandfootprint-ranking.com. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Colgate-Palmolive Company History: Creating Bright Smiles for 200 Years". colgate.com. Archived from the original on 2006-05-02. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "高露洁 (Colgate)". Baidu. March 17, 2013.
- Derbyshire, David (February 10, 2018). "Colgate gets the brush off for 'misleading' ads".