City Terrace, California
City Terrace, California
Location within Los Angeles County
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
The community is considered part of Los Angeles County, located northeast of Downtown Los Angeles. It contains City Terrace Elementary School, Robert F. Kennedy Elementary School, Esteban Torres High School, Harrison Elementary School, William R. Anton Elementary School, Hammel Street Elementary School, City Terrace Library, and City Terrace Park. It is part of the Census-designated place of East Los Angeles.
Light rail service to L.A. is provided by Metro Gold Line's Eastside Extension, which opened in 2009. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) provides bus service from City Terrace. to throughout the L.A. area. In addition, local shuttle service is provided by the El Sol (City Terrace and East Los Angeles Shuttle) and LADOT DASH (City Terrace and El Sereno).
City Terrace is bounded by the city limits of Los Angeles on the north and west, Floral Drive on the south, and the city limits of Monterey Park on the east. Boyle Heights is on the west, Lincoln Heights is to the northwest, University Hills is to the north, California State University, Los Angeles is to the northeast, Monterey Park is to the east, and other parts of East Los Angeles are to the south. Major thoroughfares include City Terrace Drive, Eastern and Medford Avenues, and Herbert Street. The community is part of ZIP code 90063 and area code 323.
History and Culture of ArtEdit
City Terrace is a neighborhood saturated with art. The Goez Art Studio was co-founded by David Rivas Botello, Jose-Luis Gonzalez and Juan Gonzalez in 1969. In 1975, Botello and Wayne Alaniz Healy co-founded Los Dos Streetscapers, later adding Charles Solares, Fabian Debora, George Yepes, Paul Botello, Ricardo Duffy, Rich Raya, and Rudy Calderon to their ranks and renaming themselves East Los Streetscapers. The ceramic mural at the City Terrace Branch Library, Ofrenda Maya 1, was created by Goez Studios' Jose Luis Gonzalez. Another mural created in 1994 by George Yepes, a member of the East Los Streetscapers who is known for creating the cover art for Los Lobos' 1988 album, is seen on one of the walls at City Terrace Elementary.
City Terrace Park was developed in 1933 by Works Progress Administration crews. It occupied a piece of 3.5 acres (1.4 ha) terrace that was formed after crews hacked a rugged and barren hill. In 1957, 600,000 cubic yards (460,000 m³) of soil that had been removed from the construction of the Los Angeles Civic Center was transported to the City Terrace County Park. The soil filled a ravine, tripling the park's original acreage. It has swimming, basketball and tennis, plus a playground, a splash pad, picnic areas and a gymnasium. In addition, City Terrace Park hosts many activities for youth and Teens such as cheer, basketball and computer club, as well as activities for adults and families such as ceramics classes and aquatics programs.
The County of Los Angeles Public Library operates the City Terrace Library. The library has been in its current location since 1979 and was refurbished in 2009. The library offers homework help for children and teens, internet resources such as downloadable audio books, and occasionally hosts seminars for the community.
City Terrace is in the:
• 34th US congressional district, represented by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D) 
• 51st State Assembly district, represented by Assembly Member Jimmy Gomez 
• 5th District Los Angeles County Unified School District, represented by Board Member Bennett Kayser 
The Los Angeles Unified School District serves City Terrace. The district operates City Terrace Elementary School, Robert F. Kennedy Elementary School, William R. Anton Elementary School and Harrison Elementary School.
- "Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles" (PDF). County of Los Angeles Annual Report 2009-2010. County of Los Angeles.
- "East Los Angeles, California (CA) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders". www.city-data.com.
- Bureau, U.S. Census. "American FactFinder - Search". factfinder.census.gov.
- "East Los Streetscapers - Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles". muralconservancy.org.
- "City Terrace Library - County of Los Angeles Public Library". www.colapublib.org.
- "Central Health Center." Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Retrieved on March 18, 2010.
- "Whoismyrepresentative.com". whoismyrepresentative.com.
- "Assembly Democratic Caucus". Assembly Democratic Caucus.
- "Sign In". achieve.lausd.net.
- "City Terrace Elementary School: Home Page". cityterrace-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com.