Christian Henrik Arendrup
Christian Henrik Arendrup
Christian Henrik Arendrup (1837-1913)
|Governor-General of The Danish West Indies|
15 April 1881 - 22 December 1893
|Preceded by||Janus August Garde|
|Succeeded by||Carl Emil Hedemann|
|Born||March 25, 1837|
|Died||July 8, 1913 (aged 76)|
|Spouse(s)||Almira Kjellerup (m. 14 April 1863)|
|Children||Anders A. Kjellerup, former councilor in the Danish West Indies|
|Mother||Nanna Marie Henne (1811-1899)|
|Father||Christian Rasmus Arendrup (1803-1871)|
|Occupation||Politician, Military Officer|
|Civilian awards||Honorary Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order|
|Branch/service||Royal Danish Army|
|Years of service||1859-1881, 1893-1905|
|Military awards||Knight of Dannebrog|
In 1856, Arendrup graduated from Sorø Academy (Sorø Akademi) on the island of Zealand and the following year, he started at the Royal Danish Military Academy (Hærens Officersskole) where he graduated as Engineering Second Lieutenant À la suite. He went to Fredericia in 1861 to join preparations for the impending war with the German Confederation.
Second Schleswig WarEdit
Among his accomplishments in 1864 during the Second Schleswig War, were helping the defense during the battles at Dybbøl and the Als Island. Arendrup was named Knight of Dannebrog and promoted to premier lieutenant for his achievements.
Governor of the Danish West IndiesEdit
On April 1, 1881, Colonel Arendrup was pronounced Governor of the Danish West Indies. He landed on St Thomas on 15 April 1881. By the Colonial Law of 27 November 1883 he was required to reside six months a year in St. Thomas and the other half a year in St. Croix.
In 1893 he left the governor's post. He was promoted to Major General in 1900 and re-entered as Chief Inspector and Head of the Engineering Corps. He was dismissed from the military service in 1905. He was appointed a Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order by King Edward VII on the occasion of the King's visit to Copenhagen. He worked as the chairman of Danish Red Cross.
Arendrup was married to Almira Kjellerup (1841-1924), the daughter of Anders A. Kjellerup, former councilor in the Danish West Indies.
- Waldemar Westergaard, The Danish West Indies under Company Rule (1671–1754) (MacMillan, New York, 1917)
- C. F. Bricka (editor), Dansk biografisk Lexikon, first edition, 19 volumes, 1887–1905, Vol. I. Online edition available: http://runeberg.org/dbl/1/ (page 312. Numbered as 330 in the online edition).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christian Arendrup.|
Janus August Garde
| Governor of the Danish West Indies
1881 – 1893
Carl Emil Hedemann
- Bricka, Dansk Biografisk, 312
- Bricka, Dansk Biografisk, 313
- "De slesvigske krige 1848-51 og 1864". Denmark Military History. Retrieved January 1, 2019.
- Taylor, Charles Edwin (1888). Leaflets from the Danish West Indies: descriptive of the social, political and commercial condition of these islands. OCLC 900223036.
- "The London Gazette, issue 27669, p. 2581".