Christian Friedrich (baseball)
Christian Louis Patrick Friedrich (born July 8, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the NC Dinos of the KBO League. He made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with the Colorado Rockies in 2012 and also played with the San Diego Padres.
Friedrich on June 19, 2012
|NC Dinos – No. 53|
|Born: July 8, 1987|
|MLB: May 9, 2012, for the Colorado Rockies|
|KBO: July 12, 2019, for the NC Dinos|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.37|
|KBO statistics |
(through July 28, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.00|
Friedrich attended Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois, and Eastern Kentucky University, where he played for the Eastern Kentucky Colonels baseball team. He was named a Baseball America Freshman All-American in 2006. He was also named a second-team All-American in 2008.
Friedrich was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the first round, with the 25th overall selection, of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. Baseball America ranked Friedrich as the #95 best prospect in baseball prior to the 2009 season and the 33rd best prior to the 2010 season.
The Rockies added Friedrich to their 40-man roster after the 2011 season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. He was called up on May 7, 2012, to make his major league debut against the San Diego Padres on May 9, 2012. On August 3, it was announced that an MRI revealed a stress fracture in his lower back, ending his season. Friedrich was 5-8 with a 6.17 earned run average in 16 starts, and had 74 strikeouts in 84 2⁄3 innings.
Colorado designated Friedrich for assignment on January 28, 2016. He was claimed by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on February 5. On February 19, the claim was reversed, and Friedrich was sent back to the Rockies.
San Diego PadresEdit
Friedrich signed with the San Diego Padres on March 3, 2016. The Padres promoted him to the major leagues on May 13. In a debut game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, center fielder Chris Owings shot a fastball straight back up the middle, knocking off Friedrich's glove. The left-hander raced over to the ball and made the bare-handed toss to first for the out. 
In a game against his former team, the Colorado Rockies, on Saturday, September 10, 2016, Friedrich led the Padres to a 6-3 victory while striking out a career-high tying 10 batters. Friedrich shrugged off a 109-mph DJ LeMahieu line drive that drilled him in the left leg during the third inning to work seven shutout innings.
Friedrich became a free agent on October 30, 2017, after the team outrighted him due to sustained injuries.
New Britain BeesEdit
- "Christian Friedrich: Loyola Academy product to make first major league start". tribunedigital-chicagotribune. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Hankins earns Baseball America Freshman All-America honors » Clarksville, TN Online". Clarksvilleonline.com. July 6, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "EKU's Friedrich named 2nd-team All-American". Wkyt.com. May 29, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Rockies select LHP Christian Friedrich in first round of 2008 MLB First-Year Player Draft | ColoradoRockies.com: Official Info" (Press release). Mlb.mlb.com. January 1, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Prospects: Rankings: Top 100 Prospects: Top 100 Prospects: No. 81-100". BaseballAmerica.com. February 24, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Prospects: Rankings: Top 100 Prospects: Top 100 Prospects: No. 21-40". BaseballAmerica.com. February 23, 2010. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Rockies add two to 40-man roster, outright Brown | ColoradoRockies.com: News" (Press release). Colorado.rockies.mlb.com. November 18, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Renck, Troy E. (August 3, 2012). "Rockies pitcher Christian Friedrich done for season". Denver Post.
- "Rays get OF Dickerson from Rockies for reliever McGee". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 28, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Angels add LH reliever Christian Friedrich, DFA Taylor Featherston". The Orange County Register. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Padres pitcher Christian Friedrich makes play without glove". MLB.com. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Todd, Jeff (October 30, 2017). "Jarred Cosart, Christian Friedrich Elect Free Agency After Clearing Outright Waivers". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Friedrich Has Contract Purchased". New Britain Bees. July 2, 2019.