Chris Avellone is an American video game designer and comic book writer. Avellone worked for Interplay and Obsidian Entertainment before working as a freelancer. He is best known for his work in games such as Planescape: Torment and the Fallout series.
Avellone in 2009
Christopher Frederic Avellone
|Occupation||Game designer, comic book writer|
|Known for||Being a writer and designer for various role-playing video games|
Avellone is an alumnus of the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia. He studied at the College of William & Mary, graduating with a major in English and a minor in fine arts, focused on architecture.
Working initially as a freelancer in the two years after college, Avellone wrote campaigns for Dungeons & Dragons-inspired fantasy role-playing games. After entering the video game industry through the company Interplay in 1995, he briefly worked on the development of the 1997 title Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. In 1997 he took over the development of Descent to Undermountain, which he later called a disappointment. Avellone contributed to the 1998 game Fallout 2 and continued to work on its franchise.
Interplay acquired the rights to produce a role-playing video game set in the Planescape campaign setting of Dungeons & Dragons with the development led by Avellone. The 1999 game Planescape: Torment removed character death as a motive, and received critical acclaim for its narrative.
Avellone worked on all the titles of the Icewind Dale fantasy role-playing game series, which were released from 2000 to 2002. As a designer, Avellone contributed to the fantasy titles Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001), Champions of Norrath (2004) and led the design of the canceled Fallout title Van Buren, after which he resigned from Interplay and co-founded Obsidian Entertainment. For the company, Avellone worked on the role-playing games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (2004) and Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006) and on the action role-playing game Alpha Protocol. He also worked as a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas.
He worked as the project director and lead creative designer on Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road Fallout: New Vegas downloadable content. As of 2012[update], Avellone had been working as a narrative designer on role-playing video game Project Eternity, later released as Pillars of Eternity. On June 9, 2015, he revealed that he had departed from Obsidian Entertainment. Since then, Avellone has worked as a freelancer on games such as Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Prey, Divinity: Original Sin II, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Into the Breach, and Dying Light 2.
Star Wars comics:
- Unseen, Unheard (2005)
- Heroes on Both Sides (2006)
- Impregnable (2007)
- Old Scores (2007)
- Graduation Day (2007)
- Chmielewski, Dawn C. (August 15, 2000). "The writer Chris Avellone, senior designer, Black Isle Studios". The Orange County Register. p. K7.
- "Chris Avellone: Dark Knight". Edge. April 20, 2009. Retrieved November 14, 2009.
- "GameStar.ru Alma Mater — Kickstarter. Chris Avellone: "Project: Eternity is our chance to return to doing the types of titles we did at Black Isle"". Archived from the original on November 4, 2012.
- Sawyer, Josh. "Pillars of Eternity". Forums.obsidian.net. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Purchese, Robert (June 9, 2015). "Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment". Eurogamer. Retrieved June 9, 2015.
- "Update 13: Update #13: BREAKING NEWS: Chris Avellone to work on D:OS2! · Divinity: Original Sin 2". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Messner, Steven. "Dying Light 2 announced and Chris Avellone is designing the story". PC Gamer. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Meer, Alec. "Chris Avellone sheds light on Into The Breach's time-travel mysteries". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Vitale, Adam. "Pathfinder: Kingmaker Interview with Chris Avellone on storyline, writing, and characters". RPG Site. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Isaac, Ashish. "Omensight Interview: Developing A Narrative Puzzle". GamingBolt. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- Brown, Fraser. "Degrees of Separation is a co-op puzzle game written by Chris Avellone". PC Gamer. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Skrebels, Joe. "Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms Announced for PC and Consoles". IGN. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- Chalk, Andy. "KOTOR 2 designer Chris Avellone has been working on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order". PC Gamer. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Frank, Allegra. "System Shock reboot is getting help from Obsidian Entertainment co-founder". Polygon. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Brown, Fraser. "Vampire: The Masquerade—Bloodlines 2 has bitten Chris Avellone". PC Gamer. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Stone, Tim (November 17, 2017). "The Flare Path: Emotionally Authentic". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- Messner, Steven. "Dying Light 2 announced and Chris Avellone is designing the story". PC Gamer. Retrieved 17 May 2019.